DVD RW Driver Not recognizing DVDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivanzu

Beta member
Hello,my Sony DVD RW G170A stopped reading DVDs few months ago and it looks like it cant be fixed or at least that's what I think I tried firmware update to version 1.75 and it didn't fix the problem,I tried uninstalling Windows XP and it too didn't fix the problem.I think that the problem is in the windows/pc as I took the drive to my friend and it worked perfectly so does anyone have some ideas how to fix it?The drive will only read some DVDs to be precise only 2,and will read all CDs.Could the problem be in BIOS maybe its not configured properly?
Cheers!

Could be a coincidence that it works on your friend's system? Did you try cleaning it out? Take a q-tip, and just open the tray, you should see the laser in there. Gently rub on it. I had to do this with old CD-Roms back in the days.

Oh,one more thing a friend borrowed me his DVD-RW drive he has the same model as me and it still had the same problem,ill try that.

Might want to try a different model, if the above doesn't work. Maybe the firmware just doesn't like your system.

It worked I never knew that such a simple fix could fix pretty complex problem!
Thanks for that!
But I might have a new problem because when I decided to install a game it restarted the PC it happened on 20-40% of install maybe it was just a random restart.Ill report back if it happens again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom