DVD Not Recognizing

Frost17

Baseband Member
I have a PLextor 712A that I've had for the last couple of years. Just recently I formatted my desktop and did a clean install. Everything is working great. Just realized however that it doesn't appear to be able to read DVD's.

I can read and write cd's just fine. Using Nero I can write DVD's. But it can't read anything. I just bought world of warcraft and it is unable to read the install disc.

What's going on here?

sounds like your drive is ready to die. this is happened to my old drive. it slowly and slowly read less and less disks. first it didnt read one, now it wont read ANY DVD's. sounds like the same problem i have. ive formatted my PC and done other several things to try to fix but it didnt help.

looks like your going to have to replace the drive.

its should still detect the disk, it just wont be able to play it

I installed a new HDD a couple of days ago and so put XP on it, it recognized my drives and copies fine but it would not play DVDS until i installed power DVD, I might have got it to work if I had downloaded XP codecs but I couldn't be bothered.
Also I had a problem a few months back with my Pioneer 110 no reading disc's, I was all for buying a new writer when I decided to reformat and bobs your uncle worked fine, I must have done something to it but have no idea what.

the drive does not recognize any dvd. the strange thing is that it can write and read cds. it can write dvd's but cannot read them. i am still very puzzled. like someone said earlier, it should be able to at least recognize the disc right?

Its should read it yes, when you put a disc into the drive does the disc show up in the drive in (my computer ) also have you tried going to the manufacturers website and seeing if there is a firmware update for that drive.

Back
Top Bottom