dvd/cdrw drive problem

moose356

Solid State Member
i bought a usb flash drive a while ago and since i used it my cdrom drive has been reading cds n stuff but can't play them. the system restore doesn't go back as far as i need it to go in order to restore it before i first attached the usb flashdrive. when i go into device manager it says that my cd drive is working fine, and when i insert a cd i can see it reading the disk, but i noticed that when i go into the properties for the device, the device usage box thing is inaccesible (it's that grey colour) and i thought that this might be why the disks are being read, but aren't being played because the computer isn't recognising the disk drive.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP SOMEONE BECAUSE I CAN'T FIX IT AND I HAVE A LAPTOP WHICH MEANS THAT I'LL HAVE TO BUY ANOTHER DRIVE

i hope to hear from someone soon... :confused:

i had a similiar problem, which occured due to me uninstalling a dvd prorame!! i had a clean up removed several programes, then found that it caused my cd and dvd to fail. they were recognised in device manager, and appeared to be working properly.
i had to do a re-ormat in the end.
woz

Try this.
Create a Restore point and back up the registry.Open regedit.
Look for;

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\CurrentControlSet\SetControlClass.
Key name: {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
Value Data:[Delete all value data from upper and lower filters]
Note-Do not delete the key or the multi-string values. Delete only the data values.
Exit regedit and reboot.

thanks but im still confused...

thanks woz and per
except im a newbie at the whole computer thing and don't understand how i can re-format my disc drive and i don't understand what redigit is either.....
if you could get back to me i would really appreciate it
thanks again
moose

as a newbie then I don't recommend that you use the regedit. As for the reformat...in your case it would be to use the manufacturer's restore disc that came with your computer.That will restore everything back to a like new condition. You need to go to the manufacturer's website for details about using it.
Good luck!

yes...don't edit the registry unless you know what you're doing...one wrong move and you're SCREWED. I don't know why per keeps giving people that advice. I don't reccomend editing the registry.

I keep giving that advise because that is usually the fix. If you have a better one post it. Lurkswithin had already posted the caveat. Your post was redundant except for the reference to me.

ok everyone it looks like i wont use redigit...
but as for the reformat thing - i cant reform the disc drive with a cdrom if the computer itself doesnt recognise any activity from the drive. unless i can?
so basically im screwed i suppose.
this is so annoying.

does anyone have an idea as to how i can reformat the drive despite the computer not reading any discs that i insert??
thanks to everyone for their help so far.
moose

Try putting the CD in and restarting the computer..
In my compaq, it runs like that.. and as long as the hardware itself has functionality, it should work.

You could also try going in My Computer, and right clicking the CD Rom drive and selecting Open, and see if it opens that way. If it does, and you need to open the files for reformatting that way, it might work. :)

Back
Top Bottom