DVD/CD-RW drive failing to work....?

winslow33

Daemon Poster
Hello.

I recently bought an Acer Aspire 5315 laptop off my friend for $10 :eek: because the screen was shattered and the DVD/CD-RW drive isn't working right.

I've fixed the screen part, just plugged a monitor into the port on the side.

But I cant figure out what's wrong with the optical drive and was hoping for some insight.

Before we go any further I guess I should mention I whiped the hard drive of Vista Home Basic and put on Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2....

If I go into My Computer or Device Manager right now I can see the drive is there. If I put a CD into the drive however, I can read it for about a minute and the optical drive suddenly "disapears" from both My Computer and Device Manager until I restart the computer. I've tried taking the drive out and putting it back in again, reinstalling and updating the drivers, but with no luck. I'm hoping I wont have to buy a new drive, but I guess I cant complain for the cheap cost of the laptop :p

setishock

Wizard of Wires
You need to install the chipset drivers. They are also refered to as motherboard drivers.

winslow33

Daemon Poster
Just tried that now. The problem with updating my chipset drivers is that when I restarted the computer, the monitor doesnt work in Windows. I had to do a system restore in safe mode to be able to see again.

winslow33

Daemon Poster
Yeah, there made for XP. I think it's probably because its trying to display everything on the screen that I dont have instead of the monitor.