DVD/CD-RW drive failing to work....?

winslow33

Daemon Poster
Hello.

I recently bought an Acer Aspire 5315 laptop off my friend for $10 :eek: because the screen was shattered and the DVD/CD-RW drive isn't working right.

I've fixed the screen part, just plugged a monitor into the port on the side.

But I cant figure out what's wrong with the optical drive and was hoping for some insight.

Before we go any further I guess I should mention I whiped the hard drive of Vista Home Basic and put on Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2....

If I go into My Computer or Device Manager right now I can see the drive is there. If I put a CD into the drive however, I can read it for about a minute and the optical drive suddenly "disapears" from both My Computer and Device Manager until I restart the computer. I've tried taking the drive out and putting it back in again, reinstalling and updating the drivers, but with no luck. I'm hoping I wont have to buy a new drive, but I guess I cant complain for the cheap cost of the laptop :p

You need to install the chipset drivers. They are also refered to as motherboard drivers.

Just tried that now. The problem with updating my chipset drivers is that when I restarted the computer, the monitor doesnt work in Windows. I had to do a system restore in safe mode to be able to see again.

Yeah, there made for XP. I think it's probably because its trying to display everything on the screen that I dont have instead of the monitor.

Back
Top Bottom