Dvd/cd Burner Installation

The audio cable allows you to listen to your CDs or DVDs. It plugs in from the optical drive to the sound card. Without it, there will be no sound.

Here's what I would do. Unplug the power cable on the back of the PC and open up the side panel. Set the drive as Master (jumpers on the back of the drive). Your hard drive is also Master but uses the Primary channel, not the Secondary (that's where your DVD drive should be). The IDE cable has like 3 connectors. Plug one end into the drive. The red stripe on the cable should be facing towards the power connector on the DVD drive. Plug the other end into the Secondary IDE slot. Make sure everything is snug. Power on. That should be it. You don't have to set anything in the BIOS. IT should autodetect it and boot into Windows.

Once in Windows, install the software that came with the DVD burner. That's it.

I have tried everything.......gotten to the point of loading different drives, uninstalling and installing the drives, different drives over and over.......still cant get the computer to recognize the drive.......the drive opens and closes normally but still wont play any cd's.............

George.

ok, try this. Turn off your computer Unplug it, and start it with no DVD drive at all. What im hopeing is it reads as nothing in it, and it saves as that, then when you install it agian, it should say install new hardware. Blazay blah. Thats what im hopeing with this also most times when you have the 40 pin (80) you have a master and a slave. One end is colored and the other two are not. Plug in the ends only there should be one short distance away from the one plugged into your dvd drive. Try that, unless it is alredy hooked up, also Post your Computer Specs, so we can search for Problems on the net. Name of computer, if built by yourself everything inside, along with the name brand of the DVD drive and part number. Thanks, that would help you out as well as us.

I purchased an external burner, attached it via the usb hub and it works perfect....when i attached it to the computer it automatically installed itself and its driver..........the new internal one i had installed never did that........could that be a flaw in the internal burner ? The reason the internal burner is not working is that there is no driver to make it work ...i have tried installing several drivers from the list of drivers shown in the device manager section, but none would work.

George.

Usually when you buy a new Burner they will often come w/their own install driver's, but if it did'nt windows should install them automatically.

Check in window services to make shure that universal plug N play is set to automatic and that it's turned on.

To do this go to the control panel, click performance & maintenance/ administrative tools/ services...

in there look for universal plug n play , or plug n play....and set it to automatic, this should install the windows default driver's for the devise you are plugging in.

Note: This is if you are running XP on your comp.

Question, upon installing the "new" internal cd/dvd burner, shouldn't it just self install through set up wizard ? The new unit did not come with any software other than the Nero burning software........i thought the unit should have some propietory software to make it work with windows xp.....maybe thats the problem, or maybe the unit is just faulty...........

George.

windows should pick the hardware up and use its own drivers. but if you bought the drive brand new from a retailer it should come with the latest drivers for it

Back
Top Bottom