dvd burning questions

duke44jb

Beta member
in the process of buying a new comp. i want to be able to burn dvd's. my question is what should i get? i want to be able to go to blockbuster rent a dvd and then burn a copy of it. are ther any capable of doing that? will it play on most dvd players? i saw one dvd burner that had "dual layer technology" what the hell is that? what are good speeds?

heck knows about dual layer, and good speeds are 4x write speed. read lots of reviews on burners ;). Also about your blockbuster theory, only is it illegal but ive noticed most dvds are the new 9GB disks and take up vasssts amounts. These disks cost alot too, you'd actualy be better buying the origional. Or...Ripping them into MPEG for the ultimate small screen viewing, with lack of features and quality - and also the good old non-legal way.

duke44jb said:
in the process of buying a new comp. i want to be able to burn dvd's. my question is what should i get? i want to be able to go to blockbuster rent a dvd and then burn a copy of it. are ther any capable of doing that? will it play on most dvd players? i saw one dvd burner that had "dual layer technology" what the hell is that? what are good speeds?
Camers had the good point. Most DVDs are about 9Gb. Thats where Dual Layers comes in - it has two layers and only Dual Layer DVD Writers can write them. They are bloody expensive - I don't know how much - but enough to make it practically uneconomic to make them instead of buy them.

If you have the money - I would get the Dual Layered Burner though; because the prices will go down.

I recently bought a Sony VAIO RZ series desktop computer and it is dvd burning compatable. but u need to have the software to burn them. I burrowed my cousin's software called by 321 studios called "DVD X COpy" and he had another program "DVD X-Copy Xpress" You must have the origninal to get express. but it is soo simple.. My cousin told me that the original dvd X copy is better quality but takes longer to brun and uses 2 discs. I just wanted to try it. so i used DVD X copy xpress which took about 20 minutes to burn and was absolutely perfect. I put it in my dvd player and was crystal clear.. so now i only use express. also there are options that allow you to add subtitles. and allows you to change between fullscreen and widescreen. But remember not ALL dvds are burnable.

Before I really began burning dvds. i had a problem solving dvd-r or dvd+r. but i realized that my computer allows both. I chose dvd-r because more dvd players can play dvd-r. Also.. one more thing, Dvd-r/dvd+r are for movies and dvd-rw/dvd+rw are for files and pictures.

hope that helps!

there are some ways to put a duel-layer dvd movie on to a regular dvd, but the only way i have heard of is to use a dvd ripper program, and get rid the extra scenes, meus, etc. and just keep the movie, than sometimes it will fit on a regular dvd, or like Kaylie said, you could try splitting it, so it would fit on two dvds but it's a really complicated process. but like Lord K said, it probably isn't really worth it unless you can afford a Duel Layer DVD burner. I suggest looking on the internet for a store that would sell cheap dvds, or try ebay.

I rent movies, rip the dvds VOB files and then create a new dvd out of it. There are many softwares for Windows that will do this, I use linux to create all my rips/movies/other stuff.

Kaylie said:
I recently bought a Sony VAIO RZ series desktop computer and it is dvd burning compatable. but u need to have the software to burn them. I burrowed my cousin's software called by 321 studios called "DVD X COpy" and he had another program "DVD X-Copy Xpress" You must have the origninal to get express. but it is soo simple.. My cousin told me that the original dvd X copy is better quality but takes longer to brun and uses 2 discs. I just wanted to try it. so i used DVD X copy xpress which took about 20 minutes to burn and was absolutely perfect. I put it in my dvd player and was crystal clear.. so now i only use express. also there are options that allow you to add subtitles. and allows you to change between fullscreen and widescreen. But remember not ALL dvds are burnable.

Before I really began burning dvds. i had a problem solving dvd-r or dvd+r. but i realized that my computer allows both. I chose dvd-r because more dvd players can play dvd-r. Also.. one more thing, Dvd-r/dvd+r are for movies and dvd-rw/dvd+rw are for files and pictures.

hope that helps!
That program looks good! I'll have to have a look into it. Sounds very good indeed.

Back
Top Bottom