DVD/Blu-Ray Drives hanging Computer!! Please help!

@zKilla
Not it.
It's happened with both my old DVD Drive which works fine in other computers, and my new blu-ray drive.

I just tried a different SATA cable - still didn't work.
I also tried to disable HPET, but I just got a stop error before windows loaded... and understandably.

To cover all bases, I would run memtest86, and just see if there isn't a memory error. I say this because of how long it took you to install windows. If the driver surely isn't defective, then it shouldn'tve taken that long.

The next thing to do is test it with a different computer (correct me if you have done this, but it's confusing keeping up with what you've tried :p)

After that, you might have a go at a linux live CD/DVD. See if anything hangs there.

But, if it works fine in another computer, then there's something fishy going on with drivers or the MB. If it took 12 hours to install, something could've been botched during that, so it still could be a software-level issue (driver/os/etc).

Idk. Very odd problem.

@dude
Yeah, This is a brand new blu-ray drive, and the DVD drive I had before had the same issues, yet worked on other machines fine.

I've had just one of the two memory sticks running and have had the same problems.

My dibs are on either the PSU or Motherboard; that the DVD drive is either not getting enough power, (but I've tried connecting the SATA power used with the HDD and same issue occurs), or the motherboards SATA controller is screwed.

What has really stressed me out now is my TV tuner has just bailed. I'm getting the error in device manager "The device cannot start (code 10)". It was working last night, and now it's botched.

It'd be good to reinstall Windows 7 entirely, but It's going to take another 12 hours and I can't even be sure it'll work as it should.

Yeah. I'm highly doubting there's that much incompatibilty with your parts and W7, so my bet is on the MB. It could possibly be the PSU, but from little things like the DVD drive not working, but the hard drives ARE working...it seems to me that the whole system wouldn't be booting since the CPU and MB take far more "juice" to run than your average DVD/BR drive. However, don't rule it out. I'd say test your stuff on a different rig...including your TV Tuner..it's probably not faulty.

I'm gunna go with MB failure on this one. Can you RMA?

@dude
Got the TV tuner working - I think I must've bumped it while playing with its guts, I just put it in another PCI slot and it's fine now.

As for RMA... Not sure, I've had the computer for at least 2 years now. It's a gigabyte all-in-one, I've always had my suspicions with it. I know the blu-ray drive works, I don't know what else I could test in other computers that might be playing up with the drive other than the motherboard. I might try another PSU tomorrow, and if it doesn't work I'll just get a new motherboard.

Hmm... I'll need to reinstall Windows 7 if I get a new mobo, won't I? How can I do it without losing anything?

Not much you can do. I have had HDDs boot right up before with a new MB; heck, I even had WinXP reinstall automatically with a new MB without having to call MS and tell them a lie. But, it's probably pretty rare. About the only thing you can try is to uninstall all of the MB drivers and whatnot if you have installed them. You never know. It might work, might not.

Back
Top Bottom