During Post - No Disk Drive Found

Running the software now lets hope this works

---------- Post added at 07:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:20 PM ----------

whats the keymap?

---------- Post added at 07:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:21 PM ----------

yea its not seeing any devices

Running the software now lets hope this works

---------- Post added at 07:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:20 PM ----------

whats the keymap?

---------- Post added at 07:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:21 PM ----------

yea its not seeing any devices

keymap just type enter (default)

language just type 02 (english)

video just type enter (default)

--

If it doesn't see the hard drive, then the hard drive is corrupted or broken.
You said it is brand new? Return it as DOA (dead on arrival). Exchange for a working drive. Problem solved.

It wouldn't be a formatting issue if the BIOS can't see it - the BIOS doesn't care about the format.

What I would consider looking at are the settings of your SATA ports and any jumpers on your HDD. Also, might sound stupid, but make sure the HDD getting power - especially if you are using a molex to SATA power adapter - it's not 100% compatible (if memory serves, Sata power carries 3.3V, 5V & 12V along with ground - that's more than the traditional Molex).

I also would check for a BIOS update. If it's an old P4 or P3 era Optiplex the chances are it simply can't see such a large drive due to addressing constraints. Check for the latest BIOS & Dell support forums to see if they're any size limts.

If you have another machine to hand, try it in that.

And lastly, it could indeed be DOA.

If i were to change in BIOS from AHCI to something else like ATA or RAID then restart and go back into BIOS, it doesn't even show it. If i change it back and do restart again this time it shows the capacity unknown.

---------- Post added at 08:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:51 PM ----------

i have my computer the one i am using right now. U think i can pop it in there to see if it can see it? Or do i need like a fresh computer not being used

You should be able to pop it into the computer you're using now on a spare Sata port/channel no problem.

I reckon the fact the BIOS see's it in ACHI mode and not in IDE emulation mode pretty much confirms this is due to an addressing limitation of the BIOS - hence why it cannot determine the capacity. Ofcourse, it could still be DOA, but I'm doubting that now.

Can you please tell me how old this Dell is you're trying to install the HDD in? One 'addressing limit' does hover about the 2TB mark using 32bit sector numbers. Newer BIOS's can support 48bit addressing that allows far larger capacity to be addressed.

Like I said, the drive is DOA since even Gparted did not see it.
Return it and exchange for a working one, before it's too late!

I sent it back today. I will het a new one.on the 5th. I put it in my other computer and that was asking for a system disk.. I think its bad. Jw tho seem its new how would gparted see anything tho seem its never been uaed?

The computer i got like couple years ago. The company wasnt using it anymore so they gave it to me.. I am thinking on waiting when im done upgrading my gaming pc.. Because that has more slots of hdd and i also notice the dell has no more power connectors so if oo wanted to add more i couldnt.. So i am waiting until i get ally hardware together then use the old comp for nas device.

---------- Post added at 07:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:32 PM ----------

Sorry for the wording my phone is being dumb. Not letting me correct all of it lol.

Update: I got the new drive in after sending it back. Its working and the computer does see all 3tb. Thanks again for all your help guys. Much appreciated!

Back
Top Bottom