During Post - No Disk Drive Found

blando233

In Runtime
Hello,

I just got a new 3TB drive. I am building a NAS device and when i stuck it in a computer that i have off to the side. When i boot up the computer i get an error:
"Drive 0 not found" Which on the motherboard is the hard drive. So i switch the SATA port and does same thing but just now it says port 2. Any suggestions what this could be. I am trying to find another cable to test to see if its the cable. But its a brand new drive.

I switched the cable and that is not it i guess. When i put ubuntu server and start installing it i get an error in there saying "No Disk Drive was detected. If you know the name of the driver needed by your disk drive can select it from the list"

Make sure that your drive/port is enabled in the BIOS and set to AHCI. Always put the root device in SATA port 0 (or 1 if 0 not present)

i went into BIOS and all ports are set but port 1 but its on 0(its the blue SATA port). I did not see AHCI. Also if i take the old hard drive and put it back in there it sees it and works. Its an Dell computer i just want to use it for my NAS device. So i took the old drive out and put in a brand new 3TB drive.

Ok i did find the AHCI in BIOS and enabled that. Now in BIOS under port 0 showing capacity unknown. Is it possible that 3tb is not supported or something?

Ok i did find the AHCI in BIOS and enabled that. Now in BIOS under port 0 showing capacity unknown. Is it possible that 3tb is not supported or something?

Hello,
Could you provide a little bit more info? What kind of "old Dell"? BIOS make and model. I ask, because you might try doing a BIOS upgrade, if you haven't done that already. Addressing larger drives can sometimes be solved this way.
Also, be advised that having a single HDD constitutes a rather big "single point of failure". This might be your DIY NAS, but as a bare minimum, you might consider using a software RAID configuration with 2 HDDs (mirroring). Power consumption considerations aside, it is far safer.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, I had the same problem. I have three 2tb drives and an external seagate 3TB drive. the 2TB drives were unformatted, but when taking the 3tb external out of the enclosure and inserting it into the PC, the 3tb drive shows up like you, unknown, and wants to be reformatted. However, when putting back into the external and plugging in USB 3.0, it shows up just fine and data is fine.

My best guess to this issue, is that the drive is improperly formatted, and so you must reformat the drive before you are able to use it.

If you only have one drive, then do it like this:

1) Download Gparted (free) GParted -- Download
2) Burn Gparted to a CD.
3) Boot up the computer into Gparted, while the 3tb drive is inserted.
4) Once in Gparted, delete any and all partitions on the 3tb drive. (NOTE: This will DESTROY all data on the disc!)
5) You can either reformat as NTFS in Gparted, or you can leave it blank after you deleted partitions. In the second case, Windows will take care of the formatting for you when you install it.

Good luck!

Last edited:
sorry its a dell optiplex 960. It had like a small hard drive in it. And my plan is to install another drive. The drive is brand new its never been used so nothing is on the thing.

What i was thinking i am upgraded my gaming computer i might just use the one i am upgrading as the NAS device. There are more slots for a HDD. What you think?

Says BIOS version is A04

sorry its a dell optiplex 960. It had like a small hard drive in it. And my plan is to install another drive. The drive is brand new its never been used so nothing is on the thing.

What i was thinking i am upgraded my gaming computer i might just use the one i am upgrading as the NAS device. There are more slots for a HDD. What you think?

Says BIOS version is A04

did you read my post?

Back
Top Bottom