Dual monitor possibilities and problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nitro

Solid State Member
Alright. I'll start off by saying that my PC is a cheap peice of junk. It has an onboard TNT2 Aladdin 32mb card and NO open AGP slot. I bought a GeForce4 MX 440 64mb PCI model yesterday and I am pleased at how it beats the crap out of my other card.

Now that I have two monitor ports in my computer the thought crossed my mind to run dual monitors. Problem is, the TNT2 is disabled. I get a message that says:

Windows cannot initialize the built-in graphics adapter. Shut down your computer, remove all graphics adapters, then restart your computer. Shut down your computer again, reinsert all graphics adapters, the restart your computer.

fun, huh? I can't see how that would really help me. Has anyone dealt with a similar problem? Is it even possible running windows 98SE?

BTW, my settings has changed to this after I installed my new card. on the back of the card there is only 1 monitor output, aswell as a s-video output.

Attachments

Ecniv

<a href="http://www.tech-forums.net/pc/f109/foldin
Is there an option in you BIOS as to which Display adapter to initialize first? If so, you should be able to set PCI graphics adapter to initialize first, the re-enable the onboard card in the BIOS.

Nitro

Solid State Member
hmmm

I was able to run dual only if I had my onbaord card primary. thats a real problem for me, so much so that it seems not even worth running dual. oh well. I'll just try and find a real cheap PCI gfx card somewhere.

h4x0r

Baseband Member
If u have a DVI port in your GeForce 4 MX, try getting a DVI->VGA adapter and then do dual monitors.

Nitro

Solid State Member
hmmm....

no, but I DO have a s-video out port though. I know they make s-video to RCA adapters, but do they make s-video to VGA adapters?

h4x0r

Baseband Member
I dont think so, but they do make s-video to VGA.

Never heard of s video to vga, but I cant see how its not possible to have a s-video -> VGA.

Ecniv

<a href="http://www.tech-forums.net/pc/f109/foldin
h4x0r said:
I dont think so, but they do make s-video to VGA.

Never heard of s video to vga, but I cant see how its not possible to have a s-video -> VGA.
Is it just me or do you all feel like someone just tied you to a chair and spun you around for a few hours?

Status
Not open for further replies.