Dual Core vs. Single Core?

Depja

Baseband Member
I have the option of getting a dual core intel xeon processor at 1.8ghz each or a single core AMD processor at 2.2ghz. Which would be better for gaming? Assuming that the computers had the same parts other than the processor.
Thanks in advance!:cool:

Even in an epic battle of Xeon vs Athlon, the Athlon's clock speed advantage over the Xeon would mean the Athlon would win in these cases.

I have a similar setup at home, and the faster single core CPU is great at gaming in general.

Though why you'd even consider getting either one... but hey, if the price is right...

The AMD processor is an AMD Anthlon XP 3200+ and its at 2.2ghz not 3.0 sorry. Im not sure about the Xeon processor though. Thanks for the replies! :D

Athlon XP 3200+??? Xeon all the way

-----------------------------------------------------
CPU----------------Rank(higher is better)
AMD Athlon XP 3200+--------500

Intel Xeon 3040 @ 1.8GHz---1116
-----------------------------------------------------
While both proccessors have realativly the same power per core, the Xeon provides 2 cores, giving even better preformance in dual core enabled games(which most modern games are).

I have a pc with a AMD Athlon XP 3200+ in it and I love it! The clock speed is 2.2ghz but it compares with the 3.2ghz Pentium 4. Thats why its called a 3200. The clock speed doesn't matter. What matters is how fast it runs programs. For gaming I would go with the Athlon 3200+. If your going to be multitasking go with the dual core.

I have a pc with a AMD Athlon XP 3200+ in it and I love it! The clock speed is 2.2ghz but it compares with the 3.2ghz Pentium 4. Thats why its called a 3200. The clock speed doesn't matter.

This is false. It's a common misconception however - the rating system actually refers to AMD's own internal rating scale. The fact that the 3200+ was aimed to compete against a P4 3.2 GHz is mere coincidence. <tongue in cheek>

But you're right about one thing - clock speed doesn't matter, at least not entirely by itself.

Compared to a Xeon dual core and an Athlon XP 3200+ CPU, yes the Xeon would be faster, but only marginally.

Back
Top Bottom