Dual Channel 2Gb vs single channel 3Gb

ssc456

Fully Optimized
well like it says,

friend of mine has 2Gb at mo with only 2 RAM slots,

and hes got a graphics card which takes up 768Mb of his RAM, its hypermemory to 1Gb and has 256 of its own mem,

so basicly hes running on only 1.25Gb RAM for the computer and its killing him, he needs the graphics card to use that much mem its an informed decision trust me :)

so i said if you get another 2Gb stick then you'll have 2.25 Gb for the whole comp and a dedicated 1Gb for the graphics,

im thinking he will def be better with 3 Gb but then he said wont i lose my dual channel ??

well yeah he will but surely its not worth sticking with only 2 Gb for the sake of dual channel ?

What kind of a graphics card does he have, and what kind of memory?

DDR2 or DDR?
PCI Express or AGP, PCI etc...?
Does he play many games?
What kind of board, it might only support 2gb?

If it was my decision I would go the extra mile and get a graphics card that doesn't have Hypermemory... Dedicated memory is much better... Plus you get your ram back... and you can keep your dual channel like you want...

right well here goes,

he has 667Mhz DDR2 RAM a PCIE X16 graphics card,

he plays second life and runs like 20 different second lifes at a time and that why he needs alot of memory for the graphics card, if you want n e where near 1 Gb dedicated graphics memory you need to spend hundreds and thats not an option,

trust me on this i have considered other options and narrowed it down to these 2, i know the motherboard support 4Gb coz i checked,

so with all that said and done which would it b 3Gb or 2Gb

ok i dont think you read the part where i said he runs like 20 second life's at a time, hes a big camper,

and each second life you run takes like 32MB of graphics memory therefore the more graphics RAM you have the more Second life's you can run,

Can I ask why he runs 20?? Does he have that many extra lives? :eek:

And i did read it, that would be more processor intensive anyway...

Can I ask why he runs 20?? Does he have that many extra lives? :eek:

And i did read it, that would be more processor intensive anyway...

yes i know hes got a E6600 thats not a problem,

do you know that second life is ? do you know what camping is ?

well if not lemme us say in 3 weeks for of camping i bought myself a 22" LCd monitor, enough said, camping is justified.

yes i know hes got a E6600 thats not a problem,

do you know that second life is ? do you know what camping is ?

well if not lemme us say in 3 weeks for of camping i bought myself a 22" LCd monitor, enough said, camping is justified.

What is camping?

It's where a business or land owner pays you to sit on their property or in their business, thereby generating "traffic". The owner then gets paid a "dwell" fee by Lindon Labs (Second Life). Plus, the more traffic they can generate, the more money they can make and their business or property gets a higher listing in the search engines.

Back
Top Bottom