Dual-Booting XP & Vista

Well, if it was, then you wouldn't be able to get your files back if you had to reinstall. You would need to do a clean install.

i didnt think u cud install xp aswell as vista that way because of the boot script i thought u had to install xp first then u could install vista using the xp boot script thats the only way i have heard to dual boot with xp and vista

sorry i just read it back and thats not very clear i have vista on my laptop and wanted to dual boot with xp and the only way i have heard u can do it is by installing xp first and then putting vista on as the vista boot script doesnt support dual booting with xp .. and if it does could some1 let me know coz i have wanted xp on my vista laptop for ages

I do agree with Raffaz, if you have a recovery CD, then its kinda doubtfull that that is a recovery partition. either way, to be safe, i would use a program like g-parted or partition majic to shrink your D drive to maybe one gig (or as big as those files need), and create a third E. drive. Then install windows on the E drive.

ssc456 said:
i didnt think u cud install xp aswell as vista that way because of the boot script i thought u had to install xp first then u could install vista using the xp boot script thats the only way i have heard to dual boot with xp and vista

sorry i just read it back and thats not very clear i have vista on my laptop and wanted to dual boot with xp and the only way i have heard u can do it is by installing xp first and then putting vista on as the vista boot script doesnt support dual booting with xp .. and if it does could some1 let me know coz i have wanted xp on my vista laptop for ages
Microsoft recommends this way, and its the only way i ever do it. It can be done the other way tho. Heres a guide, but ive never personally tried it so i cant say if ot works or not.
http://apcmag.com/5485/dualbooting_vista_and_xp

Back
Top Bottom