Dual boot with 2 pre-existing operating systems on 2 hard drives

bobsuncle

Solid State Member
Hello,

I have two hard drives with windows 7 installed. Currently, I am switching between hard drives by manually switching the SATA cable. I would like to edit the boot manager so that I can dual boot. When I search online I can only find instructions on how to dual boot with 1 existing operating system and 1 fresh install. Can you guys provide a link with instructions on how to accomplish what I want? Thanks in advance!

Basically... irritating parents. It is for them. My dad used to do AutoCAD work designing 3D construction models from home. The computer was originally his. Now, he works for another company and has to go into the office. So, he stopped using his computer. My moms computer had some hardware fail, and my dad said she can use his computer as long as we unplugged his hard drive and installed a new OS on a new hard drive for my mom. Now, apparently my dad needs his computer. BOTH PARENTS REFUSE TO REINSTALL THEIR OS. So, the only thing I can think of is to dual boot their two hard drives as if it were two partitions on the same hard drive.

*edit*
Or am I approaching this inefficiently and should just get an HDD power selector switch. I dual booted different operating systems many times about 10 years ago, but haven't needed to do it in a looonng time. So, I guess I could mess things up.

*edit 2*
Oh, and also what might make more sense is that my dad refuses to share an operating system with my mom because he knows what kind of bad things she attracts on the internet

Last edited:
I'm just going to get an HDD selector switch. That seems like the most simple solution to their madness. If a mod can trash this, it will help me not feel embarrassed by not thoroughly thinking about the situation :p

Back
Top Bottom