DSL keeps disconnecting

Status
Not open for further replies.

BubbaGump69

Baseband Member
Ok I've got my dsl modem connected to a wireless router to share an internet connection. For some reason if the host computer is inactive for a period of time I can not connect to the internet with the other computer. This just started happening. It's also intermittent. What do I need to check or could I buy a better modem (mine came from the dsl provider)?

you have two pcs connected to the router. What's wired and whats wireless? You say when the host machine is inactive... well i think you're using improper terminology. The router is the host/gateway for inet access. When the other machine bombs out, does it still have a private ip addess? Is your router still connected to the inet? Can you connect to the inet with the other machine? What os's are you running?

Check your router and make sure something along the lines of "Timeout after X seconds". You can probably find it under Connection or something like that... what kind of wireless router is it? I had to turn that off on mine also...

yeah... what csamuel said is true... in this kind of network the one that connect to the internet is the router.... by which other computers or laptops connected. i have also had this problem....the things that i do is :
1. contact the ISP...whether the connection is active or not.
2. check the connecting structure...
3. reconfigure the router....

tell me whether it works or not.... and what was actually happening
hope this would help....

Ok here is the deal. I have a Dell Dimension 4550 running win xp home sp2. The dell is the host computer. I have the phone line for the dsl going into the dsl modem, the modem is then connected via a cat 5 cable to the wireless router, the router is then connected to the dell pc via another cat 5 cable. Basically I just put the router in between the modem and pc. I have the dell pc set up to go on stand by after 30 minutes if it is not used. I think that may have something to do with my connection not working. To get the connection working again I will have to go into the network connections and disable the connection and then reenable it. Sometimes I have to do more like refresh the modem or router. I am beginning to get pissed off. The modem is a Westtell provided by bellsouth and the router is a Wavemax broadband router. All updates are current.

Attachments

• copy of router diagram.bmp
    9.9 KB · Views: 79
I have this same exact problem... i have a speedstream 5200 dsl modem connecting to router via cat5, and another cat5 to pc from router, and then wirelessly to a laptop... i always have to reset my modem to get it working again, but i dont think its because of a timeout or something... i think my modems messed up.

Well I went through the modem set up and found a check box under connection that said "on demand" or "always on" It was on "on demand" I changed it to "always on" Maybe that will work.

Like I said, that will probably fix the problem. I also have a speedstream 5200 wired to a wireless netgear router and another PC in another room connected via wireless card. I had the problem where the connection would drop on both machines after 10 min of them being idle. I gave the router config a deep look though and saw that "Idle Timeout" had been set of the connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom