DSL connection-good for gaming?

NASCARJarrett88

Solid State Member
Hi, y'all. I was just wanting to know if DSL with 1.5 meg download/896 Kbps upload is fast enough for gaming. I know that a lot of sim racers use DSL, but I need to find out if the 896 Kbps is fast enough for online racing. Also, does the connection speed vary from game to game? Although I just race one game, I was just curious. And, will a DSL line with this speed be stable and not disconnect me while racing when it snows our rains hard outside? We just moved to Colorado from Arizona and it gets PRETTY DARN cold out.

Thank You

i reckon so... DSL should be fast enough for pretty much all games... only speed demons would use cable instead.

i get over 1024 in upload, its actually faster than my download on my wireless. But games dont require more than 100kps of bandwidth so any DSL connection is fine.

Weather isnt a factor, Your provider is. I am guessing it is Qwest, and MSN. They are okay but not the best.

I have adelphia cable and my connection is decent... i know it is alot faster than most or all dsl services out there but it also depends on location and i think dsl does depend on weather specially if u get it from your satellite tv company.

Thanks guys, and another question...

Thanks for the responses, because it really helps out. But I have another question...

In January, a company will be offering WIRELESS T-1/T1 at full T1 speed (1.5444 megabits per second download/upload) for just $60 a month. The installation fee is $99. I know the prices are usually $400-600 for a T1 connection. And yes, airiox, it is Qwest with MSN that is offering the DSL. That would be just over $40 a month. Should I be patient and wait for the T1 at that speed, or should I go for the DSL? Also, I do not know if having a wireless connection is good for gaming. If it is that speed, it SHOULD be fine, but it is still wireless and I would like to know if there would be any defects because of this.

Thank you again :D

Wireless isnt the best option but I get decent pings. Its fairly reliable. Its fast and you can get pings in the 50's if the server is very close buy. I usually average a ping of 100.

You can get 1.5 T1 with Qwest DSL though.

I payed a $400 installation for my 1024/1024 Wireless and its only $35 a month. So its a pretty good deal.

Wired is allways the best option, but wireless was my only option since qwest wont but a dsl box nearby where I live. But people a few hundred feet away have dsl. sooo...

t1 wireless?? Crazy... That's probably right under the FDA regualtions for wirelss data transfer.

Back
Top Bottom