Dropping of LAN connections

roknjohn

Solid State Member
I've been experiencing an issue with my home network that has plagued me for almost a year. Working from my Windows XP laptop, I would constantly have to reset my wireless adapter (several times a day or even several times an hour on bad days). Once reset, usually the connection would be good for a little while. I suspected that it may be the Ubee Residential Gateway (wireless cable router) supplied by Time Warner about a year ago. So I bought a Belkin N750 wireless router and added that to my network. Things went well for about a day. Then I noticed that in my normal workspace in my home, the signal is weaker than 10ft in any direction. OK, so I decided to take the wireless out of the equation altogether. I turned off the wireless and connected with a cable. But even with a cable, my connection won't last long enough to perform a backup. (I backup to a another computer on the network, btw.)

Here's my setup: I have TWC roadrunner internet coming into the Ubee router. The wireless and DHCP server are disabled on that unit. The new Belkin is wired to the Ubee. The Belkin's wireless and DHCP are enabled. I have a desktop and (temporarily) my laptop cabled to the Belkin. I also have a Macbook and Windows XP netbook connected to the Belkin wirelessly right now (more about that later). Both desktop and laptop are not using DHCP, but macbook and netbook are using DHCP)

I tried driver updates, diagnostic software, etc on my laptop, switching out cables, and removing everything from the network except my laptop and desktop to no avail. A VNC connection from the laptop to the desktop would drop within 15 minutes.

So, in a last ditch effort to try to isolate exactly where the fault was, I downloaded a ping monitor program (EMCO Ping Monitor). This program pings a number of hosts repeatedly and logs any failures. I put it on my laptop and my desktop and set them up to ping each other, both routers and google.com. I also had them ping a macbook that I connected wirelessly. Also, I ran the monitor on a XP netbook connected wirelessly, pinging all of the aforementioned boxes. Guess what?

Not a single dropped connection since! It's been four hours. I've had a VNC connection opened for the past 3 hours (a record in my book) without resets or lags. OK, so why does this constant pinging keep my connections alive (including network shares on my desktop) that would normally drop/crash every few minutes at it's worst? Things seem faster too.

Keep in mind, I was still experiencing problems with only the desktop and laptop on the network (i.e. no wireless or DHCP anywhere). Now, things are working great with 4 computers. I haven't yet stopped the monitoring, but I suspect the issues will return once I do. If so, where should I look to resolve the issue?

Network diagram attached.

Just to recap the symptoms from my laptop even with wired connection, RealVNC connections to desktop would drop frequently; would get frequent page timeouts when browsing web; frequent network folders (on desktop) unavailable; unable to perform disk backup to desktop because connection would fail well before backup was complete. All of those have disappeared with the Ping Monitor running.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Attachments

• HomeNetwork.png
    HomeNetwork.png
    44.6 KB · Views: 5
UPDATE:

Well things aren't so honky-dorey this morning. Woke up to find that by backup process wasn't finshed. And the Ping Monitor on the laptop was showing outages on all connections. Everyting went out around 2:39am, about four hours ago, after being up for almost 13 hours.

The laptop's ethernet NIC lights are on and blinking though. The backup process is showing 57% completed.

The Ping Monitor running on the desktop shows no outages except for laptop, i.e. still able to connect to other computers

Here's a diary of my actions taken to troubleshoot the issue:
Unplugged cable for 10 seconds
(VNC reported connection lost. I didn't check to see if it was still connected before unplugging)
Reinserted cable
Ping Monitor still shows no connections
Windows network connection status shows proper IP and appears connected (20 hours)
Clicked repair connection, Windows went through steps without issue, but still no connection
Unable to browse to google
Unable to view network shares under "My Network Places"

I'm not sure what to do to determine state at this point
Turned on wireless card, Intel Proset reports connected, still no pings on Ping Monitor
Unplugged cable
Ping monitor shows no pings, but I can now browse to google and to both routers
Unable to VNC to desktop using hostname, but able to connect using IP address
Laptop IP has changed (x.15) since turning on wireless, but desktop ping monitor still shows outage to laptop obviously (wireless connection uses DHCP)
Backup utility still appears connected - no error messages
Wireless connection status shows packets being sent recv @ 125 packets/second
Wondering if backup is still progressing, waiting for progress bar to change from 57%.
Inspection of backup target folder on desktop (using VNC) doesn't show signs of back files growing (file sizes are static and last modified timestamp is 2:40am - the time of failure)

Plugged cable back in after about 5 minutes
Local Area Connection shows connected with old IP (x.10) for 20 hours still. no packet activity
Lights still blinking on NIC

Canceled backup process
Turned off ping monitor
Packets still being over wireless sent/recv @ 30/sec with no obvious program open.
Ran ipconfig and netstat (screenshots attached)
Turned off wireless card

Cannot browse to google (over ethernet)
Clicked "disable" on Local Area Connection status dialog
Dialog froze (solid gray with hourglass)
Lights still flashing on NIC
Unplugged cable
Local Area connection dialog still frozen
Just Noticed "My Network Places" window was not responding. Closed it, and it killed explorer.exe (lost desktop icons and taskbar)
Restarted explorer.exe using Ctrl+Alt+Del and task manager

In Device Manager, tried to disable NIC, Device Manager froze
Not sure what I can do except reboot
Windows would not shutdown, had to power off

Rebooted with wireless switch off and cable plugged in
Computer connected fine via ethernet
Ping Monitor shows all good connections (google, routers, desktop)
VNC can connect to desktop using hostname
Ping Monitor on desktop shows good connection to laptop now

At this point, it appears the problem is isolated to my laptop. Either software or hardware.

If there any common hardware between wireless and ethernet NIC? Because I've been having issues like this for a long time using only the wireless. Could there be some type of Winsock corruption?

I'm at wit's end.

Attachments

• Laptop ipconfig.png
    Laptop ipconfig.png
    24.1 KB · Views: 1
  • Laptop netstat.png
    Laptop netstat.png
    21.7 KB · Views: 1
So to be clear, you were having this issue when you were connected to just the ubee from timewarner as well? before you added the belkin. Have you tried a direct connection only from ubee to a desktop? just to see if the connection drops?

So to be clear, you were having this issue when you were connected to just the ubee from timewarner as well? before you added the belkin. Have you tried a direct connection only from ubee to a desktop? just to see if the connection drops?

I added the Belkin because I was experiencing a lot of wifi connection drops. It would say it was still connected but not really. I would have to reset my wifi card using the hardware switch on my laptop (off then on) to restore the connection. I thought the radio on the Ubee was the issue and I've always heard that Belkin made good wireless products. After the issues continued after adding the Belkin, I tried the wired approach. I've only been using the ethernet cable a few days and probably wouldn't have noticed anything if it weren't for the 5-6 hour backup procedure. It failed the first few nights that I tried it, leading me down this path.

It's been two and a half hours since I had to reboot this morning and the Ping Monitor says all connections are good. (Only two failed pings out of 2000 for the desktop connection.)

I think I'm going to try something tonight. I have a passive hub that I'll use to connect just my laptop and desktop together, without either of the routers or Internet, to see if connection lasts long enough for backup to complete. That should remove some of the variables, don't you think?

I think I'm going to try something tonight. I have a passive hub that I'll use to connect just my laptop and desktop together, without either of the routers or Internet, to see if connection lasts long enough for backup to complete. That should remove some of the variables, don't you think?

Yes that should work.

Well, it's been up for 13 hours without issues (still connected by wire to Belkin). I guess I'm going to try the backup again tonight. If no success, I'll go the hub route.

Good grief!

After being connected for 13 hours, the connection dropped 30 minutes after starting my backup process. Same as before, no pings through the ethernet connection, VNC still shows as connected but non responsive.

Switching on the wireless, connected immediately, allowing me to post this.

Good the problem be related to the volume of traffic?

>6 million packets sent, almost 5 million received.

Attachments

• LaptopStatus.png
    LaptopStatus.png
    25.8 KB · Views: 1
FYI, this connection status screenshot above is after the connection went down. It still shows as connected but really isn't. It will remain this way until I reboot.

Please excuse me if I ask anything redundant, as I skimmed through your posts.

- Can you test your network with the removal of the Ubee router and only using your Belkin? If the ubee is defective, that would certainly explain your problems.
- Can you compare the timestamps on the logs to see if all computers lose connections at the same time?
- If the above is possible and they do not lose connection at the same time, can you split up the wired connections one for each router and run the same ping monitor test, this would help to narrow down if either individual router is malfunctioning.

Back
Top Bottom