drop in speed ?

fsteyer

Baseband Member
Hi:

My DSL connection always has downstream speeds in excess of 6Mbps. A few days ago it dropped to around 700Kbps !!!

My ISP tells me that my line checks out at 7.5Mbps to the modem. I have rebooted my computer and the modem but no improvement.

What could be the cause?

Thanks ...

If you have a splitter, try changing that. Or also, if you changed the coaxial cable, some of these cables you can get at stores aren't as good and don't last too long.

try a direct feed from the modem to your pc, also i know this sounds obvious, but have you checked for spyware viruses etc? they can slow down interet SOO much, check that, but yea also buy a new ethernet cable, and try a direct feed

When u say drop, do u mean it only downoads at 700k a sec? cos if so thats right for a 7mb line isnt it, or do u mean it downloads like 70k a sec? which is right for a 700k broadband connection.

no 700KBps is not right for a 7Mbps connection... it should be more about 850KBps, remember the ISP's tell you the connection speed in BITS to make it sound faster, but For BYTES you divide the number by 8 (Cuz 8 bits = 1 byte) so his connection is 7Mbps so divide that by 8 and you get .875 or 875 KBps.

now if your connection dropped to 700K bits per second then you have a problem...

i kind of have a simular problem lately. on torrents and random websites i get under 100kb/s. i used to get about 230-250kb/s (in on 2mb). i recon its slow downloading from websites because i have utorrent open. as for why utorrents slow i dont know.... anyway have you done anything that could maybe of caused this? like changing the settings, etc?

torrent sites depend on other hosts and their uploading speeds so the only time your really gonna see proper download speeds is from an official site like microsoft or some1 like that who have dedicated servers for file hosting

Back
Top Bottom