Driver memory

The bottom line to this is that for what you are doing you have way too little space anyway.

You should be able to clone your C: to a bigger disk using something like Macrium Reflect. https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree This will allow you to clone your small C: to a larger disk that you can then use as your main C: drive. It will boot up without you having to do anything other than the clone operation and then physically swapping the two disks over. I Use Macrium a lot BUT the free version does have some limitations and very occasionally doesn't work. So if you do decide to go down that route make sure you have backed up ALL your important files.

As I have said for what you are doing, graphic design, you do not have any where near enough storage. you do need to buy much bigger disks and it may be a good idea to pay for some online storage that will guarantee not to lose your files. Unfortunately with electronics a multitude of disasters can and do happen even with stupidly expensive online storage facilities. BUT online storage do have multiple backup methods that, for you personally, to implement would be cost prohibitive I would think.

Hard drives are reasonably cheap these days even for big ones. External hard drives are easy to install and use. SSDs are much more reliable than mechanical, spinning disk, hard drives. They are more expensive but they are coming down in price and getting bigger.

Hi Pete I.

Most of my memory on C drive occupied by Windows itself and the programs. All my graphic works I saving at D drive which is reasonably big.
I will try to buy extra SSD rather than HDD of 1 or 2 TB and following your instructions.
Cheers

What about my (D) drive which I already shredded for 0.5 GB? Can I use it as external drive you mentioned?
How can I check what type is my current (C) drive? I am not very familiar with all that terms but can follow instructions.
Thanks for your passion

I'm afraid you can't. The existing files in the same physical drive will get in the way and you will risk losing or corrupting them thru the cloning process. You will have to extract the drive from the computer for that anyway. But if you go the path in the next paragraph, you might not need to, at least before the cloning.

Do you have any external any storage devices? If you do, there's the option to empty the whole D drive in it and use that physical drive (of D) for Windows (probably still need to physically switch it with the C drive) then use the external drive for data and keep the computer for Windows only. Cloning in this case can be done while the drive of current D is inside the laptop. Physically switching after the cloning might or might not be necessary (I lack experience in this point).

You can know the type of your storage devices from Device Manager. Just search for "Device Manager" the same way explained before for Computer Management and run it. Expand the "Disk Drives" field by clicking on the white arrow to its left. There you will see the model names. Google the names to know or post a screenshot here to see it for you. I think the C drive is already SSD because its size is a typical size for SSD's for such a laptop. But that won't help in this case anyway since the size is too low for you. There are different kinds of SSD's out there with different performance levels but the choice can only be decided by the laptop's hardware capabilities.

You don't have to be familiar with everything (no one can). Those who know can help those who don't know after all :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom