Dr Watson & the Download

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trash824

Beta member
FIRST; Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Okay, onto my problem. First I have WinXP Home EdWhenever I attempt to download a program from the internet, such as SPYBOT, ADAWARE, etc, the normal dialogue boxes will appear asking to run the program etc.
I select run, as normal. However, after watching the timebar extend as it id loading, the IE will FREEZE UP, and not respond.
This happens over and over. When I shutdown the IE...something called :
DR WATSON POSTMORTEM DEBUGGER gives me an error message. I then have to restart my IE.
This is happening all the time now when I try to get any programs from any website..
I even tested it from an email I got from PC mag offering a free Updated Driver check........Same result, I cannot use any of these programs.

All my Virus (NORTON), and spy (spy sweeper) utilities do not report any problems.......

Is there a problem with this Dr Watson, can it be turned off?
Is it REALLY needed?
:angry:

Is there a way I can get back to getting these programs to work??

Instead of Running the application. try swaving it to your Hard Drive and then run it after it has finished downloading.

Dr Watson

Yeah, I tried that.
After getting to the 99% mark, the IE FROZE up, and did not respond!!

I had to close it out, and restart the IE...

I have NO IDEA what the problem is....
I did recently have some work done on my comp, had to have it cleaned out, and OS reinstalled.

Could anything lie with that??

Is it just IE or does Firefox work ok?

OK assuming you don't have firefox you could try reinstalling IE, I'll look around for the command and post back.

Also don't rely on "Norton" and "spysweeper", try a trend micro Housecall.

Edit:

Try this command from the run box:

rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 132 %windir%\Inf\ie.inf

have your XP CD ready.

Edit: Also could you post the Dr Watson log here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom