domain controller

dude_se

Proper Legend
im doing this mainly for testing, so i can improve my knowledge of server 03.
ive set up a domain controller on my old server 03 enterprise pc. i found a registry edit that would let my MCE laptop join a domain, and afaik its all been joined properly. when my laptop starts up i see a choice of domains. if i choose the new domain and enter the username and password of a user i created it seems to load up fine. although my laptop is connecting wirelessly to the router, and even with the wifi switch off it will still login :confused: if i create a new user on the server and then use that to login on the laptop it works, so they must be communicating. why is it doing this?
and whats the best way to apply some restrictions?

thanks

wow, so many replies. suprised the site hasnt crashed
lol, j/k :p in all seriousness im giving this a quick night time bump before i go off

It's because by default your laptop is caching the profile and passwords. So you can login without a network connection. This is very useful for buisness people that take their computers home and don't want to use a VPN.

oh cool i got ya. is there any way to turn this off as if im not near my old computer ill just logon to the actual computer.
and how would i apply some restrictions and stuff? i want to try and create a startup batch file aswell

You define the startup scripts in their active directory profile. Usually these mount extra network drives, setup printers, and random crap like that.

For changing the way your computers handle logins, theirs a group policy that needs to be set on the server. I recommend digging thru the group policy's (start > run > gpedit.msc) as where that is most rules are defined.

ok thanks ill give it a bash.
how would i control things like what theme is loaded, what icons are on the desktop, etc?
i also would like the documents folder to be on the server now not on the laptop

ok sorry for the double post, but i dont think an edit shows that theres been a new post (i think).
had a play about in the settings, turned caching of accounts off (i think), but it still does it.
is there anywhere i can get some pre made login scripts from that do things like stop users accessing things, just like at school kind of thing?

ok i disabled a few things including access to "run", and now i cant access it on the server to get back to the group policy.
only some of the restrictions have worked anyway, like some things dont work in network connections etc, others dont seem to have worked. it still logs me in even if wifi is off aswell, im sure i sorted that out.
sorry for the noobishness.

Back
Top Bottom