Doesn't time fly...

~Darkseeker~

Fully Optimized
Well, I just realised today that roughly around this time of the year 7 YEARS AGO the Intel Core 2 line went effectively obsolete with the introduction of the first CPUs using Nahalem microarchitecture in Q4/November 2008...

oh the memories.. lots of heat and a 2-hour laptop battery being the top end of the market

Yay to feeling old :lol:

Mr Mixx has been here since 2004 and I've been here since 2005. Yep time flies and things change.

Yep time sure has a funny way of just flying right by. I can surely see that technology is also speeding up. it's just crazy to think how far we've come in the last 20 to 30 years.

I got an old 486 when I was 12 that was my first computer. and that was back in 2001 but I still felt like I had the world. Then I got my first internet connected computer in 2002. My dad bought me an athlon xp 1800 computer with 256mb ram. I'm not going to say I feel old because I said that after I graduated high school and that was 8 years ago and I am only 26 now but wow have the times changed. I feel like I have been here forever since February 2005. This place still feels the same as it did when I joined

I had a IBM Pentium II based machine sometime in the latter half of the 90s, I was about 5 or so at the time :D

The reason the Core 2 Duo/Core 2 Quad line being 7 years old hits me is because they made up the platform of my first proper computer that I bought myself :p

I still have the XP1700 and the Duron 1 Ghz CPUs in my junk box. Some old memory modules too.

IIRC I still have the AMD 350 CPU. Hmm... gonna have to dig through the box and see what's what.

Hah, I still have the X2-3800 mobo with CPU and mems.

Last edited:
My Athlon 1800 still gets use even to this day. I stuck a card in that gives me more ide and some sata ports so I have a 120gb for the os and a 250gb and a 320gb drive to store movies and such on it and can access them through plex. It's kind of pointless now that I have a 1.5tb drive in my computer, a 1.5tb external, 1tb external and a 2tb external where I can keep all my stuff locally.

But that computer sure had a good upgrade path. When I got it new it was an athlon xp 1800 , 256mb ram, 40gb hdd and geforce4 mx440 running xp home edition.

Now its got the 120gb hdd, 320gb hdd and 250gb hdd. 3gb ddr ram geforce 6600gt 128mb, and windows 7 pro.

Man does that thing ever run hot though it idles at 55c and under load hits 70 sometimes but back in the day I'm pretty sure that was the norm

Last edited:
I think higher temps were normal for that sort of period, sort of Athlon 64 on AMD to Nahalem and even into Sandy Bridge on Intel... not very efficient by todays standard. Turned more voltage into heat than into power :p

True, the older CPUs ran on higher voltage and thus create heat but then we didn't have much of a cooling solutions as we have today.

Back
Top Bottom