dodgy dvd drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Should DMA be enabled? at the moment it is not but i will change it and test it.. thanx in advance...Will reply with results (i hope)

If your drive and your motherboard support it DMA most certainly should be enabled.

By won't recognise do you mean you can't play DVD's in the software player you have? See if you can access the disc through "my computer."

I'd also try cleaning the lens on the drive. I had a stereo that wouldn't read CDR's but read normal discs perfectly. I cleaned the lens with some isoprophyll alcohol and it works great now. You will need a cleaning disc for this.

I have enable DMA but still not working. Thanks for the cleaning tip. I will give that a try. The drive ,in my computer, can access all music cds and all data cds but when i insert a DVD, it says that it is not accessable and the device is not ready....the same as if there were no cd in it.

Read problems with Samsung SD-608

Samsung SD-608

Some optical drives don't work properly if they are attached on the same IDE port. If you have a CD-Rom and a DVD-Rom try splitting them to seperate IDE ports. Don't forget to switch the master slave jumpers on the back of the drives.
Also there is a firmware update for the Samsung SD-608 ver Bp 2.3 available from Dell. You have to format a bootable MS-Dos floppy and then add the files to the disk. Reboot your computer and the autoexec.bat file will run the flash program for you. Don' touch anything until it lets you know its done.
Before I ran the update I used to have to dissable my McAfee virus scanner to get the DVD Rom to read CDs. Even then it was extremely slow. It seems to be better after the update.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom