Do you?

G35x

Golden Master
Man, the last couple of days, its be raining, and thungering like crazy, and my parents nag me, saying turn the computer off...Isnt that why I have a $30.00 surge protector :rolleyes: ...Do you guys turn your computer off when it rains like crazy, because I sure as hell dont...

At night when im sleeping I leave it folding, When im alway in general im folding 24/7

i never turn my comp off, lol, even when tehres a power outtage, well i got batteries, laptop, but i wouldnt really care, unless the wattage got severely higher from a bolt, and brok the cmputer, but thats highly unlikely

Dev0115 said:
Man, the last couple of days, its be raining, and thungering like crazy, and my parents nag me, saying turn the computer off...Isnt that why I have a $30.00 surge protector :rolleyes: ...Do you guys turn your computer off when it rains like crazy, because I sure as hell dont...

Powerbars with surge protectors are very lousy protection, undervolting and overvolting still happens with them. + after a few years they fail as well.

DJ-CHRIS said:
Powerbars with surge protectors are very lousy protection, undervolting and overvolting still happens with them. + after a few years they fail as well.
Hm ok. I got a few of surge protectors..

What happens if I plug all of those together that plugin one outlet from the wall? will that even work without power cuting off :confused:

I don't turn it off while its raining, but when there are lightning flashes and thunder, I usually turn it off. I turn it off usually when it is not in use anyway, so there really isn't a whole lot of point in doing it.

Peter Lachowicz said:
i never turn my comp off, lol, even when tehres a power outtage, well i got batteries, laptop, but i wouldnt really care, unless the wattage got severely higher from a bolt, and brok the cmputer, but thats highly unlikely

It's more likely than you think. More strikes come in over the communications connections than any thing else.
As for surge supressor they are a joke when it comes to a lightning strike. These devices are not meant to handle the power levels that comes with a strike. Instead they are meant for day to day surges. Like those induced by the fridge turning on and off. The A/C cycling on and off. Those sort of things. But to stop a strike from lightning, it would not survive the event. And neither would your computer.
It's always best to shut down and unplug during a storm. Maybe make use of the time to talk face to face with some one else. Or admire the storm.
But however you slice or dice this debate, it's best to err on the side of caution.

setishock said:
It's more likely than you think. More strikes come in over the communications connections than any thing else.
As for surge supressor they are a joke when it comes to a lightning strike. These devices are not meant to handle the power levels that comes with a strike. Instead they are meant for day to day surges. Like those induced by the fridge turning on and off. The A/C cycling on and off. Those sort of things. But to stop a strike from lightning, it would not survive the event. And neither would your computer.
It's always best to shut down and unplug during a storm. Maybe make use of the time to talk face to face with some one else. Or admire the storm.
But however you slice or dice this debate, it's best to err on the side of caution.
Usually what I do is just turn off the power bar, that would stop all strikes, right?

Back
Top Bottom