Do you consider this cheating? read the post before voting

^ The "notes" in question were purchased. It's a book with summaries and symbolism outlined.

That's not cheating, that's called getting through high school lol. I just finished high school last year taking advanced English classes just like you did, I don't think I legitimately finished an entire book on my own while I was in high school apart from maybe Catcher in the Rye and Hamlet, still got 5s on my AP English I and II exams so it really was of little consequence. Haha, I didn't know people were actually self-conscious about this kinda stuff, but don't worry about it.

It's only illegal if you are caught.

No, but really, its not cheating at all, I used them for To Kill a Mockingbird, when I got bored reading, or forgot to read for class.
I had to read it in 7th grade as well though too, so I had already read the whole book. Didnt like it either time.
I did use them for the Great Gatsby, and I had never read it before, didnt like that book either, lol, too obvious from like chapter one what was going to happen.

^ The "notes" in question were purchased. It's a book with summaries and symbolism outlined.

Dang...I didn't think he meant Spark Notes, as in a site or something. I thought he meant spark notes, as in adding notes :eek:

Nah, if you read the book, these notes were used for comparison then. If you didn't use them, it's fine.

i think really its stupid by not using these extra resources available to you , i know back when i was in school doing english my teacher actually advised us that we should skim read the book first to get a general understanding of the plot , then we should use a study guide of some kind and read all the character analysis and plot summaries we could find . after reading these we should read the book in detail applying all the notes we have read as we read , and i found that helped me remember things in my exams to no end
and overall i got a B in both english and english lt , even though i was in the 3rd class out of 5 ranked academically
also as others have said , a lot of the time you are only being taight what the exam board wants you to think and so using prewritten study guids is the only way to go

Some of you misunderstood my post. This is summer homework that I started on late because I thought It would be easy. It turned out a bit harder, specially with all the history homework I still have to do. They're due as soon as I get back in school. What I did was read Spark Notes ONLINE after I read every section of chapters (according to how they grouped it). So I was, in reality, checking to see if I understood correctly. What I'm asking to see whether is cheating or not is comparing my analysis to theirs, and what happened was that their analysis was more complete than mine, and it ended up giving me insights that I didn't have before I read them. But the insights I got weren't clearly written out, it just sparked something in my brain. So all it did was show me the path, I actually walked it (hopefully you get this example). So today I was out all day and I wasn't able to finish the book and start on my essays. But I'm going to read the last 3 chapters, review with Spark Notes and start on my essay. Spark Notes doesn't really answer my essays, it just gives me some analysis that HELPS me answer, but DOESN'T answer the essay. It clarifies what part of the book the essay is referring to, as it's asking about double meanings, which without the analysis of Spark Notes I could have written about the wrong thing.

Back
Top Bottom