Do New Keyboards Work With Older Computers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Xarzu

Solid State Member
Do New Keyboards Work With Older Computers?

Specifically, do they work when you are starting up your computer and you need to go into Safe Mode or run the BIOS menu? An older computer I bought in 2001 seemed to have been damaged when I recently moved. When I started up the computer it said my C: drive had some bad sectors. The keyboard I now have was bought a few years ago. It is a USB keyboard and I connect to the computer by way of an adapter to a PS2 type plug. It was working fine. I was able to hit my F8 key and go into safe mode to try a few things to fix my computer. I tried running the OS in safe mode and freeing some space on the hard drive and then I ran a defrag program (good ol' Diskeeper! Ain't Scientology beautiful!). After seveal attempt to revive my computer it became clear that I would need to run the BIOS and boot from my CD drive and reinstall the OS.

Clearly, F2 is what I am supposed to hit when the computer is first starting up in order to get into BIOS mode.

While I was defraging my C drive in safe mode the defrag software (Diskeeper from Executive Software {never trust a Scientology front organization} which is another story} seemed to have touched on the bad sectors on the hard drive and the OS rebooted saying:

Award Medallion BIOS V6.0
COPYRIGHT (c) 1984-2001, Award Software, Inc.

ACPI Blps Revision 1003LV

Intel (R) Celeron (TM) 1200 MHz
Memory Test: 261120K 0Kt 1024K Shared Memory

Award Plug and Play BIOS Extension v1.0A
Initialize Plug and Play Cards

Detecting Primary Master....... MAXTOR 4K060H3
Detecting Primary Slave........ ST312 0814A
Detecting Secondary Master..... Pioneer DVD-RDM ATAPI Model DVD-117 0104
Detecting Secondary Slave...... HL-DT-ST GCE - 81608

Hardware Monitor found an error. Enter Power setup menu for details

Press F1 to continue. F2 to enter Setup

Here is where things went to a new level. When I pressed F2 nothing happened. But if I press F1, I go down the same joy ride I have been going through.

This lead me to think that, on top of all my problems, I must also have a defective keyboard. While to other keys on my keyboard seem to work, there seems to be a problem with the F2 key. So I went to the electronic store and bought a new keyboard.

I learned that the new USB keyboards they sell today do not work with the older computers that have a PS2 port. They do not even work with an adapter. The keyboard I had been using had worked with an adapter. The new USB keybards will not work even with an adapter. My OS did not recognize any keys I typed with the keyboard I just bought today.

Is all hopeless now and I just have to throw away my old computer?

I know that there has been a change with the PS2 ports on the newer motherboards. But the fault that I have experienced only effects older KVM switches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom