Do intel i7 processors not use more than 1066mhz ram?

kevinbreault39

Baseband Member
I read this review on the alienware site where i bought my computer:
"If you are buying an Intel i7 processor, be aware that the Intel specifications indicate those processors only support memory up to 1066 speed. Dell, however, will be glad to sell you faster memory for more money. If you buy the faster memory, be aware that the processor will down-step the memory speed to 1066 ... this according to the Intel technical support staff I talked to. So you'd better think twice before spending extra cash on faster memory that may not provide any real benefit to your system."

I ended up buying the 1333mhz ram with my i7 920 processor. Is he right? Sounds like that should not be...

That ain't right at all.

The i7's memory controller can work with higher memory speeds than 1066Mhz. I have 1600Mhz RAM and it is running at its native speed of at least 1600Mhz. This involves adjusting the memory divider to set the RAM speed.

Dell, and some other PC manufactures, motherboards are locked and I don't think there will be an option in the Dell's BIOS to manually set the RAM speed. But thats down to Dell and not Intel.

So if I ordered the 1333MHz ram and I have the i7 920, it should run at 1333MHz, and whoever wrote that review was just a retard?

^ Yes, but it basically serves the same purpose. They're trying (and failing) to compete with Hypertransport, which will be near-impossible.

^ Yes, but it basically serves the same purpose. They're trying (and failing) to compete with Hypertransport, which will be near-impossible.

It seems like they make up for it with an architectural advantage. I wonder if/when AMD will make a comeback in that aspect.

Back
Top Bottom