Do I still have a chance?

Throwaway777xxxxx

Solid State Member
Do you know what might prevent you in the future if you try to get what ever job? Probably don't know.
This is a very serious problem and it is your mental health. You should deal with this very carefully before it is too late.
If you have time, go and talk to a psychiatrist first. This is really one very serious problem you have.
Excuse me if I said very directly, but this problem you have. Is this a cause or consequence and whether someone can at all help you, I don't know.
But it will be noticed by everyone who knows even a little bit about of a person's psyche and behavior.
Deal with it, this is a very serious problem and it does not disappear by itself, rather it will get worse and increases every day. May be it's a depression.

PS, So. If someone thinks that this post is not good here, maybe the administrator or moderator will delete it, but my opinion is serious and may be helpful to many persons.
Yes I do know what's going to prevent me from the job I want and that's the fact that I have an arrest. And what is therapy going to do anyways?

Trotter

Grandfather of Techist, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff member
I want to get as a software dev, but here's the issue. I got arrested for a misdemeanor a few years ago, but I didn't get convicted and the arrest was expunged. Recently though I went through two 3rd party background checks and the arrest still showed up. Since then I filed a dispute with both companies and provided the paperwork, but this has me wondering do I still have a shot at a software dev job?
You came asking a question. Several have answered, including myself. What has been said boils down to the fact that you could still be a software developer regardless of the fact that you have a not-so-expunged record... but it may not be at the one place you want simply because some companies require a certain level of clearance and some companies are just assholes. But you just want to argue against said advice.

Put in your resume and take the chance. Some might say no but others might say yes, and this is true even if you had a perfect record. Either accept the advice or don't, but the arguing is getting old.

Throwaway777xxxxx

Solid State Member
You came asking a question. Several have answered, including myself. What has been said boils down to the fact that you could still be a software developer regardless of the fact that you have a not-so-expunged record... but it may not be at the one place you want simply because some companies require a certain level of clearance and some companies are just assholes. But you just want to argue against said advice.

Put in your resume and take the chance. Some might say no but others might say yes, and this is true even if you had a perfect record. Either accept the advice or don't, but the arguing is getting old.
Look idk what else you want me to say regarding the expungement. Anyways call it arguing all you want, but as I said I have no chance now. Am I looking to get a job at Google or NASA? No. I just simply want to know whether I can find work as a developer now that I have an arrest record, but then again I'm going to get discriminated against cause well despite the fact that I wasn't convicted.

carnageX

Private Joker,
Staff member
Several people said yes, you still would. PP recounted personal experiences, saying yes you would still be able to get a dev job. I'm a software dev, and I'm sure half the people I've worked with have some kind of record or arrest for something stupid they did. But you're the one saying "no I won't be able to".

Have you tried applying at places? Have you been denied because of your arrest? What have you done besides say "no I won't be able to get a software dev job"? If you keep telling yourself you won't - then that's exactly what will happen - you won't get the job. Confidence and honesty will get you a job.

Throwaway777xxxxx

Solid State Member
Several people said yes, you still would. PP recounted personal experiences, saying yes you would still be able to get a dev job. I'm a software dev, and I'm sure half the people I've worked with have some kind of record or arrest for something stupid they did. But you're the one saying "no I won't be able to".

Have you tried applying at places? Have you been denied because of your arrest? What have you done besides say "no I won't be able to get a software dev job"? If you keep telling yourself you won't - then that's exactly what will happen - you won't get the job. Confidence and honesty will get you a job.
As I said before did I ended up with a conviction? no it just simply an arrest. Am I trying to work for Google, Apple or the NSA? No. Pardon my french, but an employer is not gonna give a fuck that the arrest got expunged especially if said arrest can still show up on a 3rd party background check. As far I can see yes I believe my life is over now because of an arrest that didn't end up in a conviction. I had a chance to make 6 figures and make something out my life. That ship has sailed now.

Top Bottom