Do I still have a chance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Throwaway777xxxxx

Solid State Member
So what? Are you paying attention at all or just ranting to rant and vent?
For one having no felony means you have a lot better chances at any employment than over 1/4 the US population for starters.
For two being arrested and charged with something is not the same as being convicted. Being convicted means you were guilty and served punishment by the prosecutor.
If the case is dismissed it means you were not convicted which means you can click NO on employment screens asking if you were ever convicted of a misdemeanor or felony. That makes your chances at being looked at better because you don't have a criminal record (assuming you have nothing before this charge).

Well that's the thing, you waste money on a lawyer to get a record expunged so they shouldn't even see it to begin with. That's the point.

And it shouldn't as I said. That means whoever you hired to get the case expunged didn't do their job right and you need to contact them to correct it.

Like I said before, if it's a class B or C misdemeanor nobody will care, especially for a software dev. They might ask you some questions, just answer honestly and be done with it. I fucked up last year and got myself arrested out of a Main Event. I was charged with a class B that finally got dismissed October of this year, a full year after the charge. Charge was disturbing the peace and brandishing/discharging a firearm. It was easy to get dismissed because the cops wrote it up wrong. I didn't have a gun on me, so impossible to be charged over a firearm offense. Looking it up on any background report will initially look bad and when they ask I just tell them the truth. Currently looking at 3 different jobs with no issues.
dude lets be real here. You expect me to believe that I have a chance at a dev job? Ok in an ideal world they wont care cause its just an arrest, but in reality I'm going to be discriminated against. Once you have a record period that's it no matter if you were guilty, not guilty, convicted, not convicted they're going to discriminate regardless. I hate it how just because you were wrongfully arrested you can be discriminated against and don't have a chance to explain.

PP Mguire

Build Guru
And that's the world we live in chief, especially here in the US. The system sucks, and it has for decades. Just be glad that your screw up didn't wind up a felony where you're delegated to being looked at as a criminal the rest of your life and stuck working at places like Amazon fulfillment center for pennies on the dollar. There are dudes that have been locked up for 30 years just because of an oz of weed in this country, and until there is massive change it's how it is. It's even worse for persons of color which makes it more fucked up.
I've been in the field professionally for 11 years now, and I've worked for the DoD 6 of those years. I've spoken to FBI for clearances, and I've recently been employed by a fortune 500 MSP after I got this record. I also worked for a construction company as an Administrative Manager doing hiring, and interviewing felons. I can tell you without a doubt a company will employ you as long as your charge doesn't conflict with their business interest. Aka an insurance company won't hire a person charged or convicted of insurance fraud. A bank won't hire somebody charged or convicted of theft. A security company won't hire somebody charged or convicted of assault and a slew of other things. The FBI interviewed me, my family, my friends, even questioned my childhood where I was pretty rebellious and almost got a teacher fired for some computer tomfoolery. If the contractor would have finalized payment for my clearance I would be cleared. The MSP still hired me before my case even got dismissed. I hired two felons for the construction company because I could tell who would fuck us and who wouldn't. If one company doesn't want to hear what you have to say just move on, the field NEEDS software devs right now more than they need my kind (SA, SE, Net Admin).
Once you have a record period that's it no matter if you were guilty, not guilty, convicted, not convicted they're going to discriminate regardless.
Yup, same for guys accused of statutory rape and forever on a sex offender list. Or the fathers/step fathers accused of crap by rebellious daughters saying they were molested only because they didn't get what they want. Or Karens calling CPS on neighbors and getting their kids taken away over nothing. Every system is fucked and you just have to move on from it. Or fathers being abused by the system by shit mothers who don't even want their kids but keep them from their fathers anyways for child support money. I could go on and on.
I hate it how just because you were wrongfully arrested you can be discriminated against and don't have a chance to explain.
Yea me too. I told a wannabe chad to mind his own business and the bartender got frantic and called the police. I was complying and leaving when told to, and I was pushed down, kicked, and assaulted by a 3rd party before I could leave the building. I was leaving the area sober when 3 cop cars raced up and took me out of my van at gunpoint. I then spent the next 3 hours in a holding cell where I was then processed and seen by a judge and released on PB. The Sheriffs still processed me and tossed me in county despite having paperwork that I was ok to go. While I was waiting I witnessed 2 crackhead fights over a phone and I was hit in the face by a Sheriff trying to detain the other guys when I was trying to get out of the way. I then had to lay in a cell with 2 murderers and a rapist for a few hours until they finally let me go while my soon to be wife at the time was freaking out at home because the bail bonds people wouldn't tell her where I was and neither would the police. I spent 14 hours total in a place I shouldn't be that caused permanent trauma I still deal with, massive anxiety I now deal with, and I too was freaking out about my career the same way you were. I can barely drive my car around without dealing with anxiety and almost having a panic attack when cops are just around me. You're preaching to the choir, and this was just barely a year ago. Want to know the worst part? I had recently sold my house and saved some of my profit to purchase a 3090 on release. I had to spend that money as a down payment on a lawyer that was costing me 5 grand to get this case taken care of. When it came down to it I only saw the real lawyer once in person, and my actual court dates (August, September, and November of this year) I saw associates that didn't do crap. They wanted a plea deal, and I had to jump through hoops from the prosecutor to just get it dismissed. My final court date I was sent an associate that didn't even know my case. I had to talk to the prosecutor myself to basically get my own case dismissed by the skin of my teeth because the so called lawyer couldn't argue in my favor. If I would have taken a state appointed lawyer or cheaper guy I would have been able to get a new GPU before this hardware crisis and probably had my case dismissed well within a year. I got fucked on all accounts. The worst part is, I was and have always been a clean person with no record. I promised myself my whole life I'd never deal with that yet it happened anyways.

All in all what I'm saying is it's not the end of the world, and your situation definitely isn't that bad. The only bad thing here is the fact that you clearly wasted resources on expunction and the lawyer did not do their job otherwise these employers would not see it on a background check. You need to calm down and contact who you had process the expunction so they can correct it. I wouldn't worry about the interviews and them questioning your charge, it's not that big of a deal. Just be honest and if they pass move on to the next. It's all you can do, and whining about it will get you nowhere. If you have experience and can do your job good somebody will pick you up faster than they will me. The industry is trying to fuck guys like me with my talents.

Last edited:

Throwaway777xxxxx

Solid State Member
And that's the world we live in chief, especially here in the US. The system sucks, and it has for decades. Just be glad that your screw up didn't wind up a felony where you're delegated to being looked at as a criminal the rest of your life and stuck working at places like Amazon fulfillment center for pennies on the dollar. There are dudes that have been locked up for 30 years just because of an oz of weed in this country, and until there is massive change it's how it is. It's even worse for persons of color which makes it more fucked up.
I've been in the field professionally for 11 years now, and I've worked for the DoD 6 of those years. I've spoken to FBI for clearances, and I've recently been employed by a fortune 500 MSP after I got this record. I also worked for a construction company as an Administrative Manager doing hiring, and interviewing felons. I can tell you without a doubt a company will employ you as long as your charge doesn't conflict with their business interest. Aka an insurance company won't hire a person charged or convicted of insurance fraud. A bank won't hire somebody charged or convicted of theft. A security company won't hire somebody charged or convicted of assault and a slew of other things. The FBI interviewed me, my family, my friends, even questioned my childhood where I was pretty rebellious and almost got a teacher fired for some computer tomfoolery. If the contractor would have finalized payment for my clearance I would be cleared. The MSP still hired me before my case even got dismissed. I hired two felons for the construction company because I could tell who would fuck us and who wouldn't. If one company doesn't want to hear what you have to say just move on, the field NEEDS software devs right now more than they need my kind (SA, SE, Net Admin).

Yup, same for guys accused of statutory rape and forever on a sex offender list. Or the fathers/step fathers accused of crap by rebellious daughters saying they were molested only because they didn't get what they want. Or Karens calling CPS on neighbors and getting their kids taken away over nothing. Every system is fucked and you just have to move on from it. Or fathers being abused by the system by shit mothers who don't even want their kids but keep them from their fathers anyways for child support money. I could go on and on.

Yea me too. I told a wannabe chad to mind his own business and the bartender got frantic and called the police. I was complying and leaving when told to, and I was pushed down, kicked, and assaulted by a 3rd party before I could leave the building. I was leaving the area sober when 3 cop cars raced up and took me out of my van at gunpoint. I then spent the next 3 hours in a holding cell where I was then processed and seen by a judge and released on PB. The Sheriffs still processed me and tossed me in county despite having paperwork that I was ok to go. While I was waiting I witnessed 2 crackhead fights over a phone and I was hit in the face by a Sheriff trying to detain the other guys when I was trying to get out of the way. I then had to lay in a cell with 2 murderers and a rapist for a few hours until they finally let me go while my soon to be wife at the time was freaking out at home because the bail bonds people wouldn't tell her where I was and neither would the police. I spent 14 hours total in a place I shouldn't be that caused permanent trauma I still deal with, massive anxiety I now deal with, and I too was freaking out about my career the same way you were. I can barely drive my car around without dealing with anxiety and almost having a panic attack when cops are just around me. You're preaching to the choir, and this was just barely a year ago. Want to know the worst part? I had recently sold my house and saved some of my profit to purchase a 3090 on release. I had to spend that money as a down payment on a lawyer that was costing me 5 grand to get this case taken care of. When it came down to it I only saw the real lawyer once in person, and my actual court dates (August, September, and November of this year) I saw associates that didn't do crap. They wanted a plea deal, and I had to jump through hoops from the prosecutor to just get it dismissed. My final court date I was sent an associate that didn't even know my case. I had to talk to the prosecutor myself to basically get my own case dismissed by the skin of my teeth because the so called lawyer couldn't argue in my favor. If I would have taken a state appointed lawyer or cheaper guy I would have been able to get a new GPU before this hardware crisis and probably had my case dismissed well within a year. I got fucked on all accounts. The worst part is, I was and have always been a clean person with no record. I promised myself my whole life I'd never deal with that yet it happened anyways.

All in all what I'm saying is it's not the end of the world, and your situation definitely isn't that bad. The only bad thing here is the fact that you clearly wasted resources on expunction and the lawyer did not do their job otherwise these employers would not see it on a background check. You need to calm down and contact who you had process the expunction so they can correct it. I wouldn't worry about the interviews and them questioning your charge, it's not that big of a deal. Just be honest and if they pass move on to the next. It's all you can do, and whining about it will get you nowhere. If you have experience and can do your job good somebody will pick you up faster than they will me. The industry is trying to fuck guys like me with my talents.

There are dudes that have been locked up for 30 years just because of an oz of weed in this country, and until there is massive chan
Yea like its that easy. Also When I talked to the solicitors office I was told the arrest was expunged and they sent me a letter of the expungement. I also talked to a lawyer and even they told if its coming up on a 3rd part background the best thing for me to do is dispute it and show them the letter of expungement, but anyways soo what it wasn't a violent crime or a crime dealing with theft, drugs, or fraud. I have no chance now.

PP Mguire

Build Guru
Look idk you know, you're a stranger on the internet. I went through reliving and recounting what I went through to help you better understand that it isn't the end of the world because a 3rd party background check is bringing up what the lawyers clearly didn't do right. I didn't have to do that, and these are the childish responses I'm getting. "So what" "Like it's that easy" these are children responses, things I expect out of my teenager who is 14. Take the information and advice or don't. If it wasn't a bad crime, you have nothing to worry about or you're lying about it. Either way, I've said what I said take it or leave it. At the end of the day you'll be fine and will find something. There's nothing more I can say to further help you, the info is there as is my own experience.

Throwaway777xxxxx

Solid State Member
Look idk you know, you're a stranger on the internet. I went through reliving and recounting what I went through to help you better understand that it isn't the end of the world because a 3rd party background check is bringing up what the lawyers clearly didn't do right. I didn't have to do that, and these are the childish responses I'm getting. "So what" "Like it's that easy" these are children responses, things I expect out of my teenager who is 14. Take the information and advice or don't. If it wasn't a bad crime, you have nothing to worry about or you're lying about it. Either way, I've said what I said take it or leave it. At the end of the day you'll be fine and will find something. There's nothing more I can say to further help you, the info is there as is my own experience.
So now you think I'm hiding something cause of my responses I'm giving? And people wonder why I don't ask for help or keep to myself. Also what can a lawyer do? There's like 100+ 3rd party background companies and they can't stop what comes up on each and every last one of them. I didn't even have a lawyer when I done the expungement cause I couldn't afford one at the time. The solicitors office sent me the instructions on how to do the expungement order and it was expunged a few weeks later. 3rd party background checks don't have to follow the jurisdictions of other states apparently which is why I just told dispute whatever comes up. Don't believe me here's a link explaining the difference between a sled report and a background check from a 3rd party: https://www.scjustice.org/criminal-...-expungements-third-party-background-reports/
anyways so what i have nothing to worry. its not even going to happen period.

Last edited:

Joe C

Fully Optimized
O.K. your never going to make it as a dev in your entire life.
Get a job working for Waste Management and they will give you a lesser job because you were once arrested.
Happy now?

PP Mguire

Build Guru
So now you think I'm hiding something cause of my responses I'm giving? And people wonder why I don't ask for help or keep to myself. Also what can a lawyer do? There's like 100+ 3rd party background companies and they can't stop what comes up on each and every last one of them. I didn't even have a lawyer when I done the expungement cause I couldn't afford one at the time. The solicitors office sent me the instructions on how to do the expungement order and it was expunged a few weeks later. 3rd party background checks don't have to follow the jurisdictions of other states apparently which is why I just told dispute whatever comes up. Don't believe me here's a link explaining the difference between a sled report and a background check from a 3rd party: https://www.scjustice.org/criminal-...-expungements-third-party-background-reports/
anyways so what i have nothing to worry. its not even going to happen period.
No I'm saying you're being self destructive for the sake of being whiny when you got multiple people saying it doesn't matter. My response is what you get after that fact. And if you did the expunction yourself (or they told you how) that's why. 2 pages worth of responses and all we have is you being self destructive disregarding what everybody is saying and finally on post 15 we finally find out why the arrest came up in a background check.

All I can say is if you're that damn worried about it have a lawyer do it properly or continue applying and interviewing. You won't get anywhere in life with that attitude.

Good luck.

Throwaway777xxxxx

Solid State Member
No I'm saying you're being self destructive for the sake of being whiny when you got multiple people saying it doesn't matter. My response is what you get after that fact. And if you did the expunction yourself (or they told you how) that's why. 2 pages worth of responses and all we have is you being self destructive disregarding what everybody is saying and finally on post 15 we finally find out why the arrest came up in a background check.

All I can say is if you're that damn worried about it have a lawyer do it properly or continue applying and interviewing. You won't get anywhere in life with that attitude.

Good luck.
Look Idk where you're at, but I kinda explain that a lawyer cant do much regarding 3rd party background check companies as there are over hundreds of them out there. As far as I know I have the expungement paperwork. I will go on to say this I can have all the certs in the world, a good attitude, hell all the coding experience and all. I wholeheartedly believe that this arrest is gonna hinder me now.

kalju

In Runtime
Do you know what might prevent you in the future if you try to get what ever job? Probably don't know.
This is a very serious problem and it is your mental health. You should deal with this very carefully before it is too late.
If you have time, go and talk to a psychiatrist first. This is really one very serious problem you have.
Excuse me if I said very directly, but this problem you have. Is this a cause or consequence and whether someone can at all help you, I don't know.
But it will be noticed by everyone who knows even a little bit about of a person's psyche and behavior.
Deal with it, this is a very serious problem and it does not disappear by itself, rather it will get worse and increases every day. May be it's a depression.

PS, So. If someone thinks that this post is not good here, maybe the administrator or moderator will delete it, but my opinion is serious and may be helpful to many persons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom