Do I still have a chance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Throwaway777xxxxx

Solid State Member
I want to get as a software dev, but here's the issue. I got arrested for a misdemeanor a few years ago, but I didn't get convicted and the arrest was expunged. Recently though I went through two 3rd party background checks and the arrest still showed up. Since then I filed a dispute with both companies and provided the paperwork, but this has me wondering do I still have a shot at a software dev job?

kalju

In Runtime
Here, "guessing" is a completely pointless activity, because there are probably all possibilities
and it all depends on the completely unpredictable decisions of local officials.
You probably know best about these local problems and how in your country everything is decided.
Nothing depends on our opinion here.

Throwaway777xxxxx

Solid State Member
Here, "guessing" is a completely pointless activity, because there are probably all possibilities
and it all depends on the completely unpredictable decisions of local officials.
You probably know best about these local problems and how in your country everything is decided.
Nothing depends on our opinion here.
So in other words I don't have a chance now?

Trotter

Grandfather of Techist, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff member
An expunged misdemeanor shouldn't be an issue unless you are trying to get some kind of government clearance. You won't know until you try.

Joe C

Fully Optimized
You need to contact the court that expunged you....
An expungement ordinarily means a court seals or erases an arrest or conviction from a person's court record for most purposes. After the expungement process is complete, the person who was arrested or convicted is not legally required to disclose the incident. ... An expungement can help with background checks
https://www.findlaw.com/criminal/expungement/expungement-basics.html

Trotter

Grandfather of Techist, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff member
"You won't know until you try." = In other words I have no chance.
Nope. As my mother likes to say, "Old Man Can't never could." If you don't try then of course you won't, but if you go for it it just might happen. The worst they can do is to say no.

PP Mguire

Build Guru
When you apply at these places since you weren't convicted and only arrested you click NO when asked if you are convicted of a misdemeanor or felony.
If something comes up it won't cause you to not get the job unless you are going for a DoD job that requires a clearance. Jobs won't deny you employment over it, they will just ask about the charge and make sure it has nothing to do with the position at hand. For instance, if you are arrested for theft or fraud a bank won't want to hire you. If your misdemeanor is disturbing the peace and it was dismissed they'll look past it.

If your charge is supposed to be expunged and it's showing up that means the lawyer you hired to get the job done didn't do it right. It can also take up to 4-6 weeks for the charge or arrest to be removed from your record.

Source: Going through the same thing.

Without going into specifics, a class C or B misdemeanor should not prevent you from landing any software dev job.

Throwaway777xxxxx

Solid State Member
When you apply at these places since you weren't convicted and only arrested you click NO when asked if you are convicted of a misdemeanor or felony.
If something comes up it won't cause you to not get the job unless you are going for a DoD job that requires a clearance. Jobs won't deny you employment over it, they will just ask about the charge and make sure it has nothing to do with the position at hand. For instance, if you are arrested for theft or fraud a bank won't want to hire you. If your misdemeanor is disturbing the peace and it was dismissed they'll look past it.

If your charge is supposed to be expunged and it's showing up that means the lawyer you hired to get the job done didn't do it right. It can also take up to 4-6 weeks for the charge or arrest to be removed from your record.

Source: Going through the same thing.

Without going into specifics, a class C or B misdemeanor should not prevent you from landing any software dev job.
So what that the arrest was no conviction or that I don't have a felony. No employer is gonna give a fuck that it got expunged. As far as the charge thought it is expunged and its stilling showing up on some 3rd party background checks.

PP Mguire

Build Guru
So what that the arrest was no conviction or that I don't have a felony.
So what? Are you paying attention at all or just ranting to rant and vent?
For one having no felony means you have a lot better chances at any employment than over 1/4 the US population for starters.
For two being arrested and charged with something is not the same as being convicted. Being convicted means you were guilty and served punishment by the prosecutor.
If the case is dismissed it means you were not convicted which means you can click NO on employment screens asking if you were ever convicted of a misdemeanor or felony. That makes your chances at being looked at better because you don't have a criminal record (assuming you have nothing before this charge).
No employer is gonna give a fuck that it got expunged.
Well that's the thing, you waste money on a lawyer to get a record expunged so they shouldn't even see it to begin with. That's the point.
As far as the charge thought it is expunged and its stilling showing up on some 3rd party background checks.
And it shouldn't as I said. That means whoever you hired to get the case expunged didn't do their job right and you need to contact them to correct it.

Like I said before, if it's a class B or C misdemeanor nobody will care, especially for a software dev. They might ask you some questions, just answer honestly and be done with it. I fucked up last year and got myself arrested out of a Main Event. I was charged with a class B that finally got dismissed October of this year, a full year after the charge. Charge was disturbing the peace and brandishing/discharging a firearm. It was easy to get dismissed because the cops wrote it up wrong. I didn't have a gun on me, so impossible to be charged over a firearm offense. Looking it up on any background report will initially look bad and when they ask I just tell them the truth. Currently looking at 3 different jobs with no issues.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom