Do I need a new motherboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

schwartzyjaimy

Beta member
I'm having trouble with the dc jack (this has happened to me before, my computer is an HP pavilion zd7160us). Here is a picture of what it currently looks like. Note the electrical burning on the board - do I simply need to re-solder a new part or does the entire motherboard need replacing?

board.jpg

Thank you in advance.

-Jim

So what is your computer doing, is it simply not powering on?

Can i also get a longer shot of that picture.

Honestly I think that picture looks like a bad manafcturing process

It will power on, provided I finagle the power input around (the problem is the dc jack will not consistently accept the ac power input). More or less I cannot charge my battery.

My question is this a problem with the motherboard, or simply a problem with the part (this is beneath the board where the solderings are shown - the rest of the dj jack appears to be in shape)

It appears that around the soldering there is a burned area on the board - would this cause a malfunction in the board or could I simple re-attatch or replace the dj jack?

if the thing give u trouble and it is still in warranty, then send it right back.....

or you will regret u don't send it before warranty run out and the darn thing suddently don't work....

:)

I may send it in soon. Actually the warranty is up, but I just purchased a 3 year extension for it.

I was just hoping to get some feedback as to whether or not I could just replace the part myself - as this would save me around a month without my laptop.

Personally since it's just a poor connection, I would personally resolder it together if I am comfortable.

DJ-CHRIS said:
Personally since it's just a poor connection, I would personally resolder it together if I am comfortable.

Are you certain that's all it could be - no short or problem with the motherboard?

Im about 95% certain, if your uncomfortable just use the warranty.

If i had a warranty, I would never take my laptop apart (I havnt, suprisingly) and it's someone elses problem.

My touchpad on my lappy is broken and I have denied the urge to fix it myself :)

DJ-CHRIS said:
Im about 95% certain, if your uncomfortable just use the warranty.

If i had a warranty, I would never take my laptop apart (I havnt, suprisingly) and it's someone elses problem.

My touchpad on my lappy is broken and I have denied the urge to fix it myself :)

exactly my reason why to send it back even I can fix it easily...

if u still got warranty, they can't ignore you...

if u void it or don't have it... you are on your own :-(

unless u got a extremely helpful and friendly respresentative.... who is in good mood too, lol

Tech support mentioned they will continue to fix the product even if previous attempts have been made by a third party.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom