Do I need a CPU cooler?

Idle temps don't really mean much. Any heatsink should keep the temperatures the same no matter how long it's been on. It's the load temps that really matter.

My highest load temp was 31C. I ran Prime 95 before I posted this. It was on for about an hour, or so.

Ok I failed to read the specifics of the CPU box thing.
And it said that the cpu has a heatsink and fan already
I'm guessing I should still buy the Xigmatek for OC'ing purposes.
Anyone care to comment?

If you're going to be overclocking, then yes, you'll need the Xigmatek cooler as the stock cooler can't keep up the the higher temps produced while overclocking.

The thermalright Ultra 120 extreme is also worth considering depending on your budget of course.

The TU120e requires the seperate purchase of a 120mm fan.

it is the better of the two imho

The quality of Thermalright bases is controversial, but when lapped there isn't a better cooler available.

Isn't it also more expensive? It's around 60 with no fan, right? The Xigmatek is 22 with a fan. It performs almost equally to it.

Right....but to die-hard OC'ers that little difference is great. I know someone who spent A LOT for a Copper TRU120, which in his situation was a boost of 5-6C.

The quality of Thermalright bases is controversial, but when lapped there isn't a better cooler available.
I agree but didn't want to introduce lapping into the equation as the op appears to be at the novice end of the scale, no offence intended to the OP

Right....but to die-hard OC'ers that little difference is great. I know someone who spent A LOT for a Copper TRU120, which in his situation was a boost of 5-6C.
valid for sure but as above I didn't want to go this route as the OP doesn't appear to be a die-hard ocer

Back
Top Bottom