DNS/registry tweaks...ok or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrlewp

Baseband Member
These changes were suggested in MaximumPC magazine, for broadband users. (I've copied only main points)
If the numbers are higher, the priority for each lookup is lower, often creating longer delays and some instability during the online experience. This tweak can work very well if the user keeps the DNS Resolver Cache up to date (i.e. flushes it occasionally so it can be recreated with working DNS entries) and the host file contains no out of date addresses. Some experimenting with low numbers in these four entries should improve any user's broadband connection.
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\ServiceProvider]
"Class"=dword:00000001
"DNSPriority"=dword:00000001
"HostsPriority"=dword:00000003
"LocalPriority"=dword:00000002
"ProviderPath"=string:%SystemRoot%\System32\wsock32.dll
"NetbtPriority"=dword:00000004
"Name"="TCP/IP"
My questions:
1)Also for ASDL ?
2)Recommended to try or not ?
3)How could the suggested settings above be so far
from default and be safe? (my current settings
show numbers in the thousands!! instead of single
digits.
4)what is the DNS Resolver Cache mentioned?

should be for any connection.
may or may not work.
if not working, can always delete or change back.

I tried it once and thought it did help.
Tried again on another machine... did not help.

IMO, depends on many things and each machine will have different effects (positive or negative)

Sure, this would be ok for ADSL. I'd give it a try, it certainly won't hurt your system to give it a go. I would just keep this list of items that you create and/or change so that you can put them back or take them away again if needed.
As you surf the web, you are locating dfferent DNS systems to resolve websites to ip addresses (www.techist.com resolves to 66.199.183.128). As you browse and browse, you are constantly building this cache of DNS systems that you are finding. So, to view these goto a command prompt and type "ipconfig /displaydns". See the list of servers? Now, what it is asking you to do is run a flush "ipconfig /flushdns" maybe every week or so, if you are a common internet user. After you flush the list, your system will recreate them as you surf. This will help with servers that go down, or that have been changed. So you dont have to keep the name of the server in you DNS cache wasting search time.

-Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom