DJI Phantom 3 vs. 4. Is it worth the difference in $?

JohnnyMcBride

Beta member
I need your help!

Is it worth upgrading from the Phantom 3 to the Phantom 4? I've updated from the 4 to the 4s iPhone and I was VERY disappointed lol Anyway, even if you don't know about drones, you may know about cameras.

Quadcopter Reviews & The Best Drones For Sale of October 2016

FYI - I have the Phantom 3 Standard. I can always sell it to my neighbor. Keep that in mind! Thanks for helping everyone. Really appreciate it :)

Cheers,
Johnny

How often do you use your drone? And are you finding that the current video/pic quality is limiting you or less than you'd like?

A lot of the upgrades IMO aren't that worth talking about (e.g. higher top speed, longer signal range) unless you're doing some pretty specific stuff like racing drones. For the average user, the improvements boil down to better camera and slightly longer flight times. If those 2 things are worth paying a few hundred to upgrade, then by all means.

How often do you use your drone? And are you finding that the current video/pic quality is limiting you or less than you'd like?

A lot of the upgrades IMO aren't that worth talking about (e.g. higher top speed, longer signal range) unless you're doing some pretty specific stuff like racing drones. For the average user, the improvements boil down to better camera and slightly longer flight times. If those 2 things are worth paying a few hundred to upgrade, then by all means.
Hey man! Thanks for replying

I use it all the time. That's the thing. I almost think of it as buying a car. I just feel like I've seen much better video online compared to mine (always tagged Phantom 4). If I can sell my old one and buy a new one, it may be worth it. I don't see myself flying down the street. But I want something that is steady and produces amazing video. It may seem like a dumb question, but I'm just so torn lol I heard about the Mavic and Go Pro Karma too...

How much better is the Phantom 4 camera than the 3?

How much better is the Phantom 4 camera than the 3?

If you're on the standard model 3, then 4k video mode will be a plus.

BUT. It's still on the same crappy 1/2.3" sensor :/ personally I don't know why people bother with that kind of res on such a tiny sensor, seems a little disingenuous to me.

In fact, I think it'd be worth your while to scope out a second hand Phantom 3 pro. See what price it's going for and see how much you'd save upgrading to that vs a new Phantom 4.

I've seen comments on some threads saying they get better results using 2.7k than 4k with the 4 ... personally I'd wait a couple of months and see how the Mavic works out ... let others be the testers first and DJI resolve any of the bugs that most of their new releases seem to suffer and get one when it's all sorted :)
Or wait that little bit longer and get the Mavic 2 which I'm sure won't be far behind :)

Yeah I guess you're right... I have the Phantom 3 already and it would be a pain in the butt to sell it and what not. I just want something new!

I think I'm going to wait awhile like you said and then look into the Mavic or the Karma.

Thanks guys! Really appreciate your help :)

Back
Top Bottom