Display Driver/GPU Issue

CasualYT31

Solid State Member
Hi,

Recently, I've downgraded to Windows 7 from Windows 10. While I was running Windows 10, I had all sorts of problems, but the one thing that DID work was my graphics card/display driver. I am using an NVIDIA GeForce GT 710. There were no crashes, hangs, or any issues related to my graphics once my new card was installed. It worked great!
However, since I've downgraded to Windows 7. I have been constantly having issues with my display driver. At first, there would simply be a black screen for a second or two, then a notification saying:
"Display driver stopped responding and has recovered"
"Display driver NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 378.78 stopped responding and has successfully recovered."
In fact, this error popped up conveniently just as I was beginning this post :).
If this was the worse I could get from this sort of error, I thought, I could live with it. Especially as I was having absolute hell with Windows 10.
Eventually, though, things started to get worse. I had a nasty shock when I realised that every time it crashes like this, certain games crash on me as well. Plus the hangs and the black screen started to get longer. Also general graphical hangs may be caused by all this too. And just several minutes ago, my computer crashed (randomly rebooted) altogether with no explanation (I hope I didn't lose some of that code I had been working on :mad:).
This is why I am writing to this forum to see if there may be any answers out there to why this might be happening.
I will provide more detail below:

When does it happen?
It happens pretty spasmodically. When my system is pretty much idle, to playing a game, to using the web browser, to writing something on Notepad++. I can't pin-point any particular process which could be causing this.
Is your graphics card overheating?
No. I have used graphic card censoring software and even physically monitoring the card with my hand against the computer case. Varying degrees of temperature: sometimes the graphics card even feels COOL. But the temperature NEVER goes over 80°C, which I hear is the temperature that you should get concerned about in terms of overheating. It barely enters the 70°C bracket and this happens! It mostly occurs at around 60°C-65°C, which is pretty much the temperature of the GPU most of the time.
Did you try reinstalling graphics drivers?
Yes. Through the Device Manager/Windows Update, through trying to find the right driver on nVidia's site, to carrying over the driver from Windows 10 (this happened only when initially installing Windows 7 but that was on a different main driver altogether and the same problems occur on my new drive, which has had a fresh install).

Apparently, when my computer crashed just now, the error was called "BlueScreen". Maybe it's nothing to do with my graphics card :eek:, but I'm pretty sure it is because there were the same symptoms occurring.

I have searched up online previous to this post. Most of the time I just kept getting "overheating" answers on previously asked questions. I doubt this is the issue: this occurred only on Windows 7 and the GPU temperature is different each time it happens.

Just checked Windows Update and no more updates available (except for the language packs which just take ages and I probably wont use them anyway).
I am running on Windows 7 Ultimate SP 1, 64-bit, 8GB RAM (also GPU has about 2GB RAM), anything else you can ask.

I am kinda desperate to get this fixed as if it really does cause my computer to reboot randomly, all sorts of bad stuff could happen as a consequence.
Thanks for your help.

Just checked Windows Update and no more updates available (except for the language packs which just take ages and I probably wont use them anyway).
I am running on Windows 7 Ultimate SP 1, 64-bit, 8GB RAM (also GPU has about 2GB RAM), anything else you can ask.

Don't use Windows Update to check for driver updates. Go to the manufacturer's website and check there. You mentioned you have v378 for drivers - that's an old driver version.

Download and install the latest driver version (v383.56) here:
NVIDIA DRIVERS GeForce Game Ready Driver WHQL

You mentioned trying nVidia's site...but did you get the latest version, or the same version you have now?

You may also need to use DDU to clear out all old driver versions and "start clean":
http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

Don't use Windows Update to check for driver updates. Go to the manufacturer's website and check there. You mentioned you have v378 for drivers - that's an old driver version.

Thanks and will install the new version. I will get back to if it helps.

You mentioned trying nVidia's site...but did you get the latest version, or the same version you have now?

I'm never too sure with these driver sites -_-. I don't think I downloaded the right version in all honesty.

Last edited:

I have successfully installed new drivers. However, Windows Update immediately came up, wanting me to download an "important" update: "NVIDIA - Display - 5/1/2017 12:00:00 AM - 22.21.13.8205". I have cancelled the download/installation of that update. Should I let it update or should I have blocked it?

I have successfully installed new drivers. However, Windows Update immediately came up, wanting me to download an "important" update: "NVIDIA - Display - 5/1/2017 12:00:00 AM - 22.21.13.8205". I have cancelled the download/installation of that update. Should I let it update or should I have blocked it?

Ignore it.

Hi again,
Graphics driver has yet again crashed, twice in the space of a minute. Now comes up with Version 382.33 instead of the one I downloaded. Checked Windows Update and it seems there are no longer any important updates, so it must have installed the update without my consent... Should I attempt to uninstall this update (and if I should, how)?

Run DDU from the link I provided above and follow the instructions in the application.

After that, re-install the GPU driver from NVidia's site that you already downloaded (v383.56).

Run DDU from the link I provided above and follow the instructions in the application.

After that, re-install the GPU driver from NVidia's site that you already downloaded (v383.56).
I have successfully run DDU (in safe mode), and successfully cleanly installed the new driver software (in normal mode). Both installations required a reboot, and I provided those reboots.
I have just received another temporary crash. What else is annoying is that it is STILL version 382.33 reporting the error, and NOT the new version I just installed :annoyed:.

Back
Top Bottom