Disk space reaching max, reason unknown

Clubz

Beta member
so for a week now my computer has been acting up. First there was a RAM problem where there was pool of ram being used constantly. Task manager was not able to tell me where the RAM was going I later found out that it was caused by the way windows 8 boots. I fixed this problem but then another problem (or rather a 2nd problem that was also present during the first problem but now has my attention) come as I noticed my Disk reaching 90-99% randomly, mainly when I had google chrome open, My computer slows down and everything starts to be unresponsive.

I closed Chrome believe it was the cause but still at random times (often when I was playing a game but even as I stayed idle on desktop) the Disk spac would still shoot yp as you can see from the screen shot I will link. Task manager says that "System" is taking up all the Disk. My friend told me how his often says 100 or 90% and that its normal and his computer does not slow down, the difference is that mine does, everything slows down. My friends believe I may have a defective RAM, I would like to get some insight on what i might be able to do to fix this problem.

Attachments

• problem pic.png
    problem pic.png
    41.7 KB · Views: 14
Huge pagefile allocation maybe?

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/ff382717.aspx

Turn it down to 1.5x your physical memory, so for an 8GB system you would have a 16GB page file - this is best practise.

My opinion/not best practise: - I turn mine off completely, forces my PC to use the much faster physical RAM to it's fullest, and it never fills 8GB.

EDIT: Just toclarify, if you have 8GB page file, there will be an 8GB file on your drive called pagefile.sys

The more virtual memory you have allocated, the more drive space it will use. If you are currently letting windows automatically manage the size, it could potentially be causing the problem you're having

the other possibilities are malware (get malwarebytes anti-malware and run a full scan) or perhaps Hibernation settings being weird (huge hiberfile.sys file)

Last edited:
While you can turn off the filepage but some program expects to see the filepage in order to work.

By the way have you done the disk cleanup?

Windows runs housekeeping chores that use logs files to keep records. Trust me they add up to a lot of drive space if you don't keep them cleaned out. Findjunkfiles is a great cleaner program. I've used it for years and it does the job right nicely. And it's free. I'm on my pos tablet so I can't toss up a link. Sorry. Just look for it over at Cnet.

The percentage itself isn't actually disk space. For example, if my "Disk" percentage jumped up to 100% on a 1TB drive, it doesn't mean that a 1TB file has instantly been created.

It's related to how busy the hard drive is, how long the queue is etc. Usually the high disk usage is caused by something running in the background, however, I don't know how the developers set up the disk section in resource monitor and what it's technically measuring....

I have seen Norton and McAfee both do this. Since I see you have Norton installed on there, a good way to test would be to uninstall it. Malware is another thing that will cause high disk usage.

Best to ensure your HDD has the latest firmware installed too.

I had a RAID config that was behaving super slow, and blue-screening. Upgraded the firmware on both drives, and it cleared right up...

One reason might be if you have iTunes on your hard drive that takes up quite a bit of space.

Sent from my iPad using Computer Forums

Back
Top Bottom