Disk Space/Memory Issue - Pagefile.sys

Status
Not open for further replies.

bdkjose

Solid State Member
When I boot up (my other pc) I get a warning message that displays "Limited Virtual Memory - Your system has no pagefile or pagefile is too small". I'm currently running Win2000 Professional with a total hard disk space of 9.5GB with 392MB RAM. I only have 313MB of free space (3%). The actual "pagefile.sys" file which is located on C: has a file size of 3.3GB (I think this is huge for a pagefile).
I'm thinking this is a virus of somekind. Can someone lead me in the right direction into getting this pagefile issue fixed, if possible? Let me know if more info is needed and any help of any kind is greatly appreciated. Thanx

I don't think it is a virus.

3% of free space will cause problems.

For starters try cleaning your computer out.

I do want to keep a bunch of mp3 files that I have while getting my 3GB of free space that I had before all this mess happened so I'm scared to format or reinstall windows for I'm not too familiar with that whole process. Is there a fix or patch that i can download? Is it safe to just delete my pagefile.sys file?

I'm sure you've already searched the net, have you seen this:

Windows 2000-Based Computer
1. Click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then double-click System.
2. Click the Advanced tab, click Performance Options, click Change, set the "Initial Size" and the "Maximum Size" values for the paging file to 0 (zero), and then restart your computer.
3. Click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then double-click System.
4. Click the Advanced tab, click Performance Options, click Change, reset the "Initial Size" and the "Maximum Size" values to the recommended values for Windows 2000, and then restart your computer.
After you configure the paging file to an appropriate size, the temporary paging file is deleted and virtual memory errors no longer occur.

To work around this issue, create enough free disk space to accommodate the size of the temporary paging file.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=257758

No don't delete the page file, don't no if you can, never been near it.

Run a program like 'CCleaner' of majorgeeks.com and also uninstall crap programs we keep on our computers that serve no purpose.

Delete 'logs' and 'user data' etc.

Glider your a genius .... I set the pagefile to 0 and then i set it to the recommended size and now I'm back up to 2.9GB of free space and my pagefile.sys file size went down to 587MB. Is that a normal size for this pagefile.sys file or should it be smaller?

One more question for you .... I'm just curious to know what might have cause my pc to do this. Could it have been a virus? Something i downloaded? How can I prevent from this happening again? You've been the greatest help ... thanx again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom