Disk Capacity display

Vipul1

In Runtime
I didnt know where to exactly post this and if this is wrong place please forgive me and delete it.

Ok, so i have a Barracuda 80GB hard drive and whenever i check my Local Disk to see how much space i have used/how much space i have, it says that my computer's capapacity is only 67GB but displays 72,020,516,864Bytes. Is there a way of fixing this reading or is it just the way it is supposed to be?

The 80 Gigabytes is it's UNFORMATTED CAPACITY. When the hard drive is formatted for use in Windows (Or any other operating system) it loses some of its capacity. So if they say you are getting an 80GB drive, you really are only getting your 67 GB of storage.

Also, 72,020,516,864 Bytes is equal to 67 Gigabytes. Unlike what many people think, there are 1024 Bytes in a Kilobyte, 1024 Kilobytes in a Megabyte, and so on. Most people think that it's only 1,000, but that little bit does make a difference. So for example your drive, with 72,020,516,864 Bytes, when you divide that by 1024 3 times (To go from Bytes - Kilobytes - Megabytes - Gigabytes) ends up being 67.0743332 Gigabytes.

If you are confused, post back and I'll try to explain with further detail.

oh ok thanks. I get it now. But when i use "Belarc Advisor", its a program that shows ALL the information on your PC, it says that i have about 70GB capacity

I wish that their was a program to format my hd so that i could get the full cpacity i mostly use it for storage not windows

some computers won't recognise a hhd that is over 120 gigs, unless you do a bios upgrade.

Back
Top Bottom