Disc drive doesn't read DVD-R

xFLuRRy

Baseband Member
Hey guys, I'm having a problem with my disc drive, for some reason it can't read DVD-R discs, it can read installation CDs and CD-Rs, but not game installation discs, or DVD-Rs.

I'm not 100% sure the exact name of the drive, but if you really need it for some reason I could find it out.

can anyone shed some light on this problem?

Thanks.

Try reading a DVD movie.

If it's an older drive, it might not be able to read DVDs.

You're right, the DVD didn't work. Which sucks, because this computer is only a little over a year old.

The info on device manager says the driver date is 6/21/2006, would that mean it is that old of a drive? I ordered this computer from Velocity Micro around November of 2010.

If the drive is just incompatable, could you point me in the direction of a newer one? (preferably something cheap.) or just tell me what I'm looking for in a drive.

Thanks.

Any idea what the interface of the drive is? You can open the case and see if there is a flat, wide cable coming out of it. Better yet, take a picture and post it.

Any idea what the interface of the drive is? You can open the case and see if there is a flat, wide cable coming out of it. Better yet, take a picture and post it.

I opened the case, but the drive itself is in a weird spot, so I couldn't take a good picture, but to my knowledge it doesn't have a wide flat cable coming out of it, I saw a black cable, and another cable. The drive says on it "Lighscribe DVD Multi Recorder"

It looks extremely close/exactly like this:
external_lightscribe_dvd-rw_multi_recorder_40_obo_40_fresno_10682983.jpg

If that is your drive, then you should have no problem reading DVDs as that drive is capable of writing DVDs. See if you can find a better driver because the computer probably thinks that it is a CD-ROM.

If that is your drive, then you should have no problem reading DVDs as that drive is capable of writing DVDs. See if you can find a better driver because the computer probably thinks that it is a CD-ROM.

I'm not completely sure what to search to find a driver, all I know about it is what I said in the above post.

Uninstall the drive using device manager and restart the computer. See if the computer correctly recognizes it.

Back
Top Bottom