Disabling internet

CFu

Baseband Member
In TCP/IP settings, if you leave gateway and DNS server fields empty, does that mean no program will be able to access the internet?

My goal is to have Windows LAN-enabled but internet-blocked so that no viruses/worms/trojans/malware can get in, so I want to make sure no internet traffic can leave or enter my computer.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I might have missed something here but just don't connect to the internet. If you are using a router as a network switch then don't connect the router to the telephone cable or the cable that goes out to the net. Or better still just use a network switch to connect your computers together and have a local area connection (LAN) only. If you don't connect to the internet then no viri, worms, trojans or spam can get in that way. Unfortunately that isn't the only way those things can get on your computer. Infected software is everywhere not just on the internet.

Pete is right. But the answer to your question is yes. If you leave your default gateway field blank, your computer will have no way to communicate outside your local network. It will only be able to talk to computers on the same IP subnet. (i.e. 192.168.1.1-254 assuming your network is in that range.)

Back
Top Bottom