Disable that really annoying hard drive access sound in Antec 900?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You may be looking at the first Sata II models to see that. Different brands wiol also have different options as well. Where WD drives will see a single jumper others will have dual sometimes with two separate illustrations printed on the rear of the drive casing.

But that was on Seagate not WD. You probably will see the molex connector still available on many while that doesn't allow any "hot swapping" there.

For any model by one specific brand simply search the support pages for physically installing that type of drive to see how that drive is setup. The links posted earlier are more generall information not specific to any one model by WD seen at those.

No sorry I didnt explain myself properly.

The sound dosent come from the drive itself, it comes somewhere else. It isnt the head seeking on the platter, it is more like a sound that other parts of the PC purpousefully make to tell you that its accessing the drive. The sound comes on exactly when the LED access drive flickers. Its not the drive because I know what the drive sounds like and i have got a really quiet one.

Thanks for the info though.

the 7200.10 drives only use a SATA power connector

Yeah, I have two 7200.10 and two 7200.11 Seagate drives..... no Molex on any of the 4...

No sorry I didnt explain myself properly.

The sound dosent come from the drive itself, it comes somewhere else. It isnt the head seeking on the platter, it is more like a sound that other parts of the PC purpousefully make to tell you that its accessing the drive. The sound comes on exactly when the LED access drive flickers. Its not the drive because I know what the drive sounds like and i have got a really quiet one.

Thanks for the info though.

That being the issue, I would suspect that it IS your drive that is causing the noise. It is likely that the noise from the drive is being amplified through the case somehow... The only part that is mechanical when it comes to the hard drive activity light is the HDD itself.... Only moving parts in a PC are fans & hard drives, and I doubt you have a fan that changes RPM everytime the HDD LED turns on......

A failing drive can pull on power causing other things like fans to change speed if the supply isn't regulating properly. At startup the largest pull for power is seen then as all post tests are run on drives and devices detected.

At other times like when browsing a drive the gearing there is in motion. While the heads may be reliable the gearing and motor that sees the platters spin can easily be showing signs of wear.

The Sata 1 drive referred to earlier is not a Seagate but a WD 200gb model I looked when a friend couldn't get XP to install even with a driver floppy there. I had loaned out an ide model until I got on his case about doing more with the first drive. It was in the XP installer's Special Devices menu where you simply pick out the chipset and not a driver disk that saw Windows go on.

He was seeing the old ide fail without making a sound however when a repair install would simply freeze up. The heads never made a peep either yet while being able to remove the primary you couldn't couldn't create a new one later. The old case that the ide model was taken from saw a loud led for HD activity there.

So nothing is totally ruled out. click click diditititdidit was the sound only slightly heard then while the drive was still reliable. Noisey led still.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom