Disable or change modem location?

NoSleepTill

Beta member
Good day,

Here's my issue. I know little about tech stuff so forgive my ignorance:

I currently work from home a few days a week on a company laptop that is not hooked up to any internet access (nor does it have GPS).

However, soon I'll be given a laptop with activated internet access (still no GPS, though) and I'll have to connect my company laptop to my modem and remote into their system so I have access to the company mainframe.

1) When I do this, will my office, which then be able to see me working real time, know where I am located given that their own computer is connected to my modem? I know my home computer and my smart phone know where I am thanks to the modem picking up my location. Will my company be able to do the same with their computer (right now, when I connect to my internet-connected work PC in the office, if I go to google maps, for instance, it thinks I'm in company headquarters in a different state. I'm not sure what their laptop via my own modem will say in terms of location)?

2) If they can locate me, is there a way I can disable or change my modem's location so that my office won't know where I'm working from? I feel that there must be because I logged on to a modem once in Europe (through WiFi, my phone was on airplane mode) and my phone then started saying I was in East Asia...only with that one modem. When I connected to other WiFi hotspots, it correctly noted me in Europe, but when I returned to this one modem, it kept setting my location as Asia. Not sure how that worked, but it did.

[I ask this b/c I am temporarily subletting a home from a friend who is out of town for a while, but I am only "officially" authorized to work from my own home. Getting the authorization changed for a few months to my temporary address will be a bureaucratic hassle and will interrupt my ability to work from home, and by the time it's approved, I will likely be ending the sublet, starting the process all over again. Given that it won't compromise my work in any way, I'd prefer to not bring it up and to keep working from out of the office but without them being able to know I'm not working from my own address]

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom