Digital Camera under a hundred

I am almost 100% sure shutter speed cannot be adjusted in this camera. ISO can be, not shutter speed.

Not to hijack this thread but..

You guys mentioned shutter speed and how slowing it down allows more light to enter the lens.. And I thought I would try it on my camera, because it took the worst night pictures of any camera I have seen.. So I set the speed to 2 seconds, I think it was, and the ISO setting on 64 and I took a near perfect picture in complete darkness (with the flash, of course) .. Needless to say, I've had the camera for over a year and I just now found this setting..

64?! Haha :p, set it to around 100-200 and it'll take an even brighter picture (Maybe without flash)

F/stop is also very important, but this affects depth of field. Its basically the size of the apature, which is the lens opening, and also changes the amount of light being let through. The larger the F/stop, the more light is let in, but if I'm right, the less depth of field you get, so objects closer appear blurred. Great though for wildlife shots, where you want the background to almost appear a constant range of soft tones.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F-number
http://www.berniecode.com/writing/photography/depth-of-field/

Yeah, but I cant adjust the F/stop thing either.

Is this just a real budget camera and for the price its all I can expect or does this camera suck more then most?

Looks like its a simple point and shoot, rather like the ones on phones. If you want more control, you could probably get a better one for not much more.
I suggest a Canon also (also Nikon), since they have been in the market for a very long time.

I cant afford much more. Infact, I shouldnt have thought this expensive of a camera.

Can you give me a particular model to look at?

I'm afraid when it comes to compacts, I'm not that knowledgeable. Your best bet is to go onto camera review websites and have a look at the top tier ones, and then the ones you can afford.
Going to a retailer like Jessops can help too, as they allow you to test out the cameras.

I dont have a retailer like that thats not a 3 hour drive from me.

Oh well, it seems to take good pictures I think. Just shooting on easy mode makes me pretty happy with the results. I will try to test it out at night then at dusk and just see what happens. If I can make it turn out somewhat good results ill keep it.

Also keep in mind you can "fix" some images with PhotoShop and other picture fixer software. Just make a copy to work off of instead of buggering up the original.
Not every crappy shot has to get tossed.

I ended up returning this camera. Between the camera and the card I was into it $190 dollars, and honestly it didnt perform like $190 should.

So, I want to try a different point and shoot. Under $120, no exceptions :)

Back
Top Bottom