Difficulty accessing wireless connection and system restore

novahifi

Baseband Member
Hello everyone I currently have a 2006 Toshiba satellite P100 - 429 laptop with an inbuilt wireless capability that uses windows XP. I am attempting to access the wireless field of a sky broadband netgear router. A couple of weeks ago the laptop stopped accessing wireless fields, just displaying that annoying 'limited or no connectivity sign' and bizarrely, it started accessing the internet wirelessly again when I switched off Comodo firewall and started using the windows xp firewall instead. I recently attempted to install zonealarm free firewall, but that stopped it accessing the internet completely even after it was uninstalled and I still can't get it to access the internet. Other users are able to access the web with the router's wireless field, even my little brother who has my handed down 2002 dell laptop. I attempted to use the XP system restore tool, but that doesn't work anymore. Could that be the work of a virus?

Thanks.

Go into network connections, right click the icon and select properties,go down to internet protocal(tcp/ip) select propperties select obtain ip automatic and obtain DNS automatic, then reboot your router and see if you can get online, if you cant then contact your router and check you have dhcp selected, if that doesnt work then you may need to set up a static ip address which is inside your routers range eg, if your router ip is 192.168.1.1 then set up a static ip of 192.168.1.2 it can be any within your routers ip range, you can check the range in your router, another thing to try is checking or changing your encryption for you network. as for no system restore this could be from a virus or corrupt registry I would run an AV scan to see if it finds anything if it doesn't try running a windows repair of the xp disc. Limited or no connectivity is a sign of an encrypted network so you my have entered a wrong key(letter or digit) if you are using W.E.P try changing the encryption type e.g.if your using 64 bit change to 128 bit

There's no encryption on my router field and I have made a much older laptop access it. How do you run a windows repair? Do you need the XP d drive disk that comes with the laptop?

Limited or no connectivity also happens to some computers that upgrad to sp2. Did you just upgrade to sp2? Google it and try downloading a fix.

If not I would just say backup and format. (that's my answer to all my problems :D )

Back
Top Bottom