Difficult problem

Astrogiblet

Beta member
Anybody think they can figure out what this is?

My dad has a dell computer that he uses for work. All of the sudden, two days ago, the computer started repeatedly typing the period button non-stop until the computer would make a vibrating noise and freak out. Now the period button doesnt even work but it still continues to keep typing it until you hit another button on the keyboard, and it stops. We have updated and run Mcafee virus scan, spybot, and ad-aware and nothing comes up. We have also updated Windows. We have also deleted all cookies and files, including offline content, and still nothing works. What also happens is when we restart the computer, it makes really loud beeping noises before it does anything.

This computer is <6 months old and has not been messed around with. only used for work and email. As I'm typing this, I'm slowly loosing more buttons as well. Now the shift key won't work on certain buttons. I am having to copy and paste all periods just to type this.

Any solutions?

Thanks,

Brandon

Well, the first question is, have you tried another keyboard? If the same thing happens on another keyboard, I'd have to say it's most likely a hardware problem, and you should make use of the warranty that you hopefully still have.

I'd agree with spank-fusion. My first impression was that it sounded like a keyboard issue. I've had similar experiences with keys getting stuck. Now I have some keys on the numeric keypad that do not respond.

We used a USB keyboard and the same stuff was happening. Its weird though. The period's only start repeating every so often, randomly, and nothing we do reproduces that. Also, if you hit another key on the keyboard, they stop doing that...

We talked to Dell and we do still have a warranty, so I guess their gonna look at it..

Thanks,

-Brandon

Good luck with it.....Can you elaborate on the vibrating noise? Like did it sound as if it were from the power supply?

personally, I'd let Dell sort it out if its under warranty, but it could be a virus, are you sure you didn't leave something like a book on the peroid key (I'm assuming this is the spacebar) because then, it'll keep on putting in spaces until the spacebar "debt" has been paid off because when the book was on the key, it couldn't type a space, so it has saved them for later, I always make sure my keyboard is clear of debris. thats my 2 cents, probs a load of drivel, but if it helps.
If it is this problem, just leave MS word running overnight or something, and you could be ok. NB the computer must have been on when the spacebar was pressed for a long time

We are just ognna let dell figure it out... Its interesting, I'm sure a lot of you wont enjoy this comment, but for every 1000 times my moms, dads, brothers, sisters, or friends have windows computer problems, I have 1 minor problem with my mac...

-Brandon

Problem solved. Called Dell and they figured out it was our keyboard. They are sending us a new one for free. Amazing how one key can screw up sooo many things...

-Brandon

Back
Top Bottom