Difference Between 32 Bit (x86) and 64 Bit (x64)

Status
Not open for further replies.
i think you're forgetting pae

Physical Address Extension - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In computing, Physical Address Extension (PAE) is a feature of x86 and x86-64 processors that enable the use of more than 4 gigabytes[1] of physical memory to be used in 32-bit systems, given appropriate operating system support.

The x86 processor hardware is augmented with additional address lines used to select the additional memory, so physical address size is increased from 32 bits to 36 bits. This increases maximum physical memory size from 4 GB to 64 GB.

i'm still questioning why MS says the memory limit of a server OS is much higher than 4gb. Can we see 16gb on x86 with a server os?

I am not forgetting PAE. Even if it is turned on it will not allow for Windows 32 Bit to use more than 4GB of RAM. As the final line says:

given appropriate operating system support.

That is not in Windows as much as they try to say it is. I have enabled it myself and still do not even get the correct reading in Vista let alone use of the RAM. This is the i neglect to state anything about it cause i have yet to see it work perfectly and flawlessly.

I am not forgetting PAE. Even if it is turned on it will not allow for Windows 32 Bit to use more than 4GB of RAM.

systemc.png
taskmgr.png

wat?

Really i can show you a x86 system using 128GB of RAM if you want. It isnt hard to photoshop a image. PAE doesnt allow for the system to use that much RAM. 32 Bit can't use more than 4GB. It is the physical limitation of the coding of the software. It is even stated as much by Microsoft now.

Vista and Win7 will both tell you on the system properties screen now that you have 4GB of RAM (3GB usable).

So you dont have to believe me. But ask any programmer. Anyone who knows about the physical limitations. The part on the first page from Computer Guru, is coming directly from a programmer for Microsoft and Windows.

Really i can show you a x86 system using 128GB of RAM if you want. It isnt hard to photoshop a image. PAE doesnt allow for the system to use that much RAM. 32 Bit can't use more than 4GB. It is the physical limitation of the coding of the software. It is even stated as much by Microsoft now.

Vista and Win7 will both tell you on the system properties screen now that you have 4GB of RAM (3GB usable).

So you dont have to believe me. But ask any programmer. Anyone who knows about the physical limitations. The part on the first page from Computer Guru, is coming directly from a programmer for Microsoft and Windows.

especially when the user only has one post

I was trying to be nice. ;)

But seriously a Google search can provide all images necessary. It doesnt take much photoshop skillz to cut out the parts needed from 1 image and place them in another.

Like i said no one has to believe me. I am just providing information. No one said that it was 110% correct, no one said that it couldnt be proven wrong or that some aspect of what i said is wrong. But to show me a couple of images and try to tell me i am wrong is so easy to accomplish that i think people are going to believe more of what has said cause they can see it for themselves.

Except, you are completely wrong and your MVP status should be revoked:

Geoff Chappell, Software Analyst - Viewer

Scroll down for instructions on how to patch the Vista 32-bit Kernel to remove this artificial limitation and try it for yourself if you won't believe pictures or writing.

I hope you enjoyed this lesson in humility.

Wow that is great. Now please provide me a list of 32 bit programs that are coded to use more than 3.5gb of memory.

Wow that is great. Now please provide me a list of 32 bit programs that are coded to use more than 3.5gb of memory.
Why would I need a single program to do that? Suppose I have a 6 monitor setup, use Adobe Photoshop (which easily eats 2 GB) on two, Adobe Premiere on two(there go another 2GB) and Adobe After Effects on the last two (there go another 2GB). We're already at 6 GB of memory usage.

32-bit Windows can address more than 4GB RAM fine, the issues are lazy driver coders and marketing/licensing, QED.

Really i can show you a x86 system using 128GB of RAM if you want. It isnt hard to photoshop a image.
Why don't you come over and take a look at it yourself? It is amazing how ignorant people are - why don't you give things research and thought before dismissing everything as fake?

PAE doesnt allow for the system to use that much RAM. 32 Bit can't use more than 4GB. It is the physical limitation of the coding of the software. It is even stated as much by Microsoft now.
Yes it does. You are confusing (well, you probably don't even know the difference) word size with physical addresses and external data bus width. Intel introduced processors with a physical address larger than their word size back in 1978, 31 years ago that is. Intel's 8086 was a 16-bit microprocessor with a 20-bit physical address bus, thus allowing it to use 1 MiB of primary storage. The same applies for the Intel Pentium Pro processor and every processor released after it. (Almost) every Intel x86 processor supports PAE, thus having a 36-bit physical address bus, which allows for up to 64 GiB of primary storage. Again, a 32-bit processor doesn't necessarily have to use a 32 bit physical address bus; if it was this way, we would have run into problems caused by memory limitations much earlier (probably back in 1975 or so).
By the way, Mac OS X was using a 32-bit kernel until version 10.6 however, Apple computers have been sold (and used!) with up to 32 GiB of primary storage running Mac OS X 10.5. The same applies to Windows, there have been commerial systems with over 4 GiB of primary storage on the market, eventhough they we're running x86. Physical Address Extension does work, obtain some compatible hardware and try it yourself. We've been running it for years. Also, please take a look at the MSDN Library for the memory limits on Microsoft Windows products.

Actually, I believe you here. Most people are simply too stupid to understand PAE, those that aren't, are ignorant.

especially when the user only has one post
Amazing. I just registered and I only have one post. How on earth is that possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom