Did You Trade MP3s on IRC in the mid to late 90s?

SystemShockDoc

Beta member
Hi Techist Forum,

Apologies if this is too promotional / irrelevant to most people. If so, mods, feel free to lock this.

My name is Jed and I make videos. Currently I'm in production on an hour-long documentary for Bloomberg about how the mp3 disrupted the music industry, forcing it to adapt or die. It tells the story from the perspectives of the musicians, label executives, and techies.

As many of you know, before Napster many fans traded mp3s via FTP sites on IRC chat channels.

I'm looking for a few characters who can speak on camera about the trading, ripping, and sharing of mp3s on IRC in the mid 1990s. Ideally you are still involved in the music (or tech) scene in some way currently.

If this could be you or someone you know, please hit me up on here or write to jrosenberg67 AT bloomberg DOT net

Thank you!

Jed

So you want people to willingly admit on the record they did something illegal. Lol.

@carnage

No one has any obligation to participate, but I can assure you that the RIAA isn't interested in prosecuting people for trading mp3s in the 90s. The decision to sue individual fans was an enormous error on their part and they are trying to put that era behind them.

Back
Top Bottom