Did my HD die?

I ran the the check.

When I look in boot options in BIOS there is a EUFI with my HD on, my HD on it's own and my cdrom (basicaly the HD is showing up twice). I can boot from the EUFI HD but not the other (yes I only have one HD). Is this normal?

Last edited:
I ran the the check.

When I look in boot options in BIOS there is a EUFI with my HD on, my HD on it's own and my cdrom (basicaly the HD is showing up twice). I can boot from the EUFI HD but not the other (yes I only have one HD). Is this normal?

If you're on Windows 8, 8.1, or 10, then this behaviour is normal.

I'm on win7 64.

So me being able to boot from the EUFI hard drive and not the one without EUFI (same hd) on is ok and working as should be on win 7 64?

So why would it reboot and ask me for proper boot device?

I ran the chkdsk and not sure what it did or what happened. The PC seems to be working ok for now but how long will that last. I wonder if it's as simple as the cmos battery.

Last edited:
There's a chance that your disk has bad sectors, and that chkdsk isolated those bad sectors. If that's the case, you're probably not going to have too much time left with that HDD... Once you get one bad sector, that usually means there's more coming.

How old is the drive?

There's a chance that your disk has bad sectors, and that chkdsk isolated those bad sectors.
This. That's why I kept pushing for you to run the chkdsk, OP.

If that's the case, you're probably not going to have too much time left with that HDD... Once you get one bad sector, that usually means there's more coming.

How old is the drive?

Depends on what's wrong with the disk - sometimes bad sectors are a bad sign, other times it's not as big of a deal. Just have to keep an eye out and keep data backed up.

The drive is about 4 years old.

So is it normal for the HD to be showing twice in BIOS and boot manager?

Back
Top Bottom