Did my HD die?

dkingman

Baseband Member
So I was playing last night and bam, my pc crashes, resets and I get the error reboot and select proper boot device. I looked in BIOS and it is reading the HD but I'm only able to boot from windows boot manager or the cd rom and when I boot from boot manager I can barely access anything anymore like every website I try and visit it says untrusted and get me out of here, or when playing the witcher 3 I can't quick save, or at least it says quick saving but the save isn't there when trying to reload a game. I can't access origin because it says unavailable offline and the same with steam.

I've tried different sata sockets. I've tried a windows repair with the win7 disc after booting from the HD (it seemed to let me boot form the HD with win installation disc in the cd rom) and it looks like it's going to let me continue but I really want to avoid reinstalling windows so I haven't continued the operation, though, I did try and run a windows repair and got the error that it was unable to do this with a different version of windows. I did run a windows repair booting from the cd rom with no issues. I also ran the drive error checking tool and it found no errors.

I recently upgraded a few things; new mobo, psu and gpu. I did a clean install of windows after installing the mobo and haven't had any issues in around a month.

Anybody have the any ideas?

ASUS P8Z77
Berlin 630w PSU
GTX 970SSC
8GIG
I52500K
win764

Last edited:
Run a chkdsk.

If you can get into WIndows:
Start -> type 'cmd' (without quotes) -> right click -> run as admin -> in the console window that pops up type:
chkdsk C: /f /r
Press Enter and it will say it cannot lock the current drive and to run on next reboot. Type Y and hit Enter -> Reboot your computer and let it run through the check (it may take some time, depending on how big your HDD is).

If you can't get into Windows, do it from the WIndows Disc and choose the "Repair my computer" link in the bottom-left corner of the install window, and then choose "Command Prompt" and type in the chkdsk command into there.

But I can get into windows, just not from the HD (I already mentioned that I'd run the repair option from windows disc). Just seems like something is missing like when trying to save games etc, it wont, even though it says it's saving them.

And why is everything so messed up now? Like browsing and stuff.

And is the 'cmd' prompt the same as error checking? If it is I've already done that from windows.

Last edited:
Not yet. It's late here and not been long back from work. Bed soon so I'll do it in the morning.

And I missread your post. Sorry, just exhausted!

Last edited:
Running it now.

I also forgot to mention that the date and time had changed after it crashed and rebooted and when changing the date and time back from my desktop all the fans in my computer went absolutely crazy, like the temps just went really high but calmed down after 30 seconds or so and went back to normal (is this normal?) This also fixed me not being able to connect to any webpages and saving some games.

Last edited:
Running it now.

I also forgot to mention that the date and time had changed after it crashed and rebooted and when changing the date and time back from my desktop all the fans in my computer went absolutely crazy, like the temps just went really high but calmed down after 30 seconds or so and went back to normal (is this normal?) This also fixed me not being able to connect to any webpages and saving some games.

Sorry I'm very confused... please clarify - you say you can not boot your hard-drive but you can boot from a Win CD, and access the files in the hard-drive?

or after booting from the Win CD you repaired the Hard-drive and now can boot from it?

If the time has changed then your bios battery may of died.

I can't boot FROM my harddrive (BIOS sees it), instead I have to boot from the CDROM or something called bootmanager. If I try and boot from the HD now it says 'select proper boot device'. When I changed it to boot from my HD in BIOS *after adding the win7 disc), the computer boots up asking me to reformat or repair etc (i ran a repair and still cant boot from the HD).

I thought it might be the battery but would that effect the HD?

The PC seems to be working fine now after changing the date and time back to normal, but I still can't boot from my HD. i am completely confused!

I can't boot FROM my harddrive (BIOS sees it), instead I have to boot from the CDROM or something called bootmanager. If I try and boot from the HD now it says 'select proper boot device'. When I changed it to boot from my HD in BIOS *after adding the win7 disc), the computer boots up asking me to reformat or repair etc (i ran a repair and still cant boot from the HD).

I thought it might be the battery but would that effect the HD?

The PC seems to be working fine now after changing the date and time back to normal, but I still can't boot from my HD. i am completely confused!

The Bios battery will only affect the date/time and settings within bios, it wont damage or corrupt the hard-drive.

Create a bootable Windows 7 USB and boot your PC from the USB, then first check if you can even get into and see the files in the OS partition on the HD

Then follow the instructions Carnage said with CHKDSK - BUT dont use C: as this will be the USB, instead find out what partition letter is assigned to your HD OS.

Last edited:
Then follow the instructions Carnage said with CHKDSK - BUT dont use C: as this will be the USB, instead find out what partition letter is assigned to your HD OS.

Usually it sets bootable environment as X: rather than C:. Usually it stays as C:, but it can change (though not commonly).

However, if it does change, this is how you can find it:
Drive Letters in the Recovery Console (simple) - Windows 7

Since I now understand that you're having boot issues...I'd suggest fixing your bootloader:
https://tweakhound.com/2012/11/13/how-to-fix-the-windows-bootloader/

Would have suggested that earlier as well, but I was under the impression that you were able to boot into Windows now, and not just the recovery environment.

Back
Top Bottom