Did I get H@xored???

Status
Not open for further replies.

bum

In Runtime
How do you know if you get hacked??? I just gave lavasoft firewall a try and it said it blocked some things in a cluster including a nuke attack (forget what that does). Anyways I didn't really think anything of it and I went to work later and when I got home, I had a BSOD (machine check error). I'm pretty sure I've had that one before meaning its not likely related. Either way remind me of what a nuke does and what I should do.

Thanks and sorry for any bad grammar this is somewhat of an emergency.

EDIT: quite certain I was attacked in someway, because logs for anti-virus and firewall programs were conviently corrupted and deleted. Newegg was the only place I buy stuff and I clean caches fanatically. There doesn't appear to be system damage so should I worry or no?

It's the same thing as a Denial of servive atack, some poeple just use different wording. This is one of the most frequently misunderstood issues in network security. Having your own personal firewall is useless against an external flood. At best, it may let you record the source of the attacks. If the attacker is dumb enough to be using his own account to attack you, then you may be able to get his account shut down. In most cases, however, the attacks come from tens or hundreds of computers which have been hijacked through viruses, so the best you can do is share those logs with your ISP and hope they can block the attacks for you. That is why we do not recommend average users go and download personal software firewalls blindly

Warez Monster said:
It's the same thing as a Denial of servive atack, some poeple just use different wording. This is one of the most frequently misunderstood issues in network security. Having your own personal firewall is useless against an external flood. At best, it may let you record the source of the attacks. If the attacker is dumb enough to be using his own account to attack you, then you may be able to get his account shut down. In most cases, however, the attacks come from tens or hundreds of computers which have been hijacked through viruses, so the best you can do is share those logs with your ISP and hope they can block the attacks for you. That is why we do not recommend average users go and download personal software firewalls blindly

Man this guy is good. Warez Monster you never cease to amaze me with the intelligence with-in your posts. Your knowledge and understanding of the technology world is profound.

You need to be writing articles for PC magazines... All of this information that you share with everyone should be put into a career and you need to start being paid for your work. I know you have a job, but i'm sure that there is something else out there that will net you millions.

~Good Job...

HAVOC2k5 said:
Man this guy is good. Warez Monster you never cease to amaze me with the intelligence with-in your posts. Your knowledge and understanding of the technology world is profound.

You need to be writing articles for PC magazines... All of this information that you share with everyone should be put into a career and you need to start being paid for your work. I know you have a job, but i'm sure that there is something else out there that will net you millions.

~Good Job...

Agreed.

On another note, I use AVG antivirus and windows firewall, but i connect to the 'net through a router. Would that make it easy for hackers, or would they not really bother with some wannabe techie's desktop?

FireFox said:
You don't know what you're missing out on. :p
Exactly. The constant threat of hacking, blue screens, and hardware failures keeps all of us pc users' skills are our very l33test! :)

So basically they knocked me out of service for a bit.... umm... big deal? As long as they didn't inject some uber badass virus I don't think worrying is even necessary.

I can reformat and was going to soon anyways (upgrade). Theres nothing else to do, but why bother attacking me?

Thanks for your wisdom warez.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom